Friday, July 29, 2016

Chapter 138 - Preparations

"Good morning pretty lady!" boomed Cordell when Delia stirred. "Did you sleep well?"

"Geez Genie!" exclaimed Delia as she jumped up. "Quiet down! You will wake the dead. And, no, I didn't sleep. I kept dreaming about meeting my father. It's making me crazy. It's all I can think about!"

"Sorry," whispered Cordell. "Take your time. I will go make coffee. Sounds like we both could use some."

The couple sat down at the table with their coffee. Cordell looked at his wife. He was a bit worried about her state of mind. "So, tell me sweetheart. Were they good dreams or bad dreams."

"Well, I keep seeing the picture of him that mom had in the basement and wondering if he still looks the same. While I am looking at it, he actually floats out of the picture and starts yelling and blames ME for killing mom."

"Delia, you KNOW you didn't have a thing to do with what happened. Right?" Then he softened his tone, "Baby, Niall and Dee, their short-sightedness caused her early death."

"I know Cordell. You know how dreams are so weird. I feel sorry for them. It was the circumstances of the time."

"But Delia, it really isn't THAT much different today. Our family, it is truly an exception. I had to threaten Foster to help me find your grandparents. I had NO idea they would still be alive, much less your father! I just wanted to find out more about your past. To help you - and Stone. You have never come to terms with your past and I know next to nothing about fairies."

Delia took a long drink from her coffee that had cooled off. "Cordell, I have made so many mistakes. How will my father ever accept me?"

Cordell had had enough of her self pity. He had NO relationships for much longer than Delia had gone from one bad relationship to another in search of who knows what. "Delia!" he said with more anger in his voice than he intended, "Think about all you have sacrificed in the name of your children. He will NOT blame you!"

"MOOOMYYYYYY!!!!!" cried Mira when she heard her father yell.

"Cordell! You are upsetting Mira!" scolded Delia as she got up to take care of their youngest child.

"Come on Mira honey. Let's get you out of there. It's okay. Daddy was just playing."





----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Good morning sleepy head!" said Cordell to Angie as she came downstairs.

"Your in a good mood Daddy. What's up?"

"I'm always in a good mood. And now that you are here, it's even better!" he gushed.

"Okay, what do you want. Do I have to babysit again?"

Cordell laughed, "Well....not exactly. You know your mom and I are going out of town in a few weeks to visit Niall and Dee and we will probably be gone for about two weeks."

"Two weeks! I thought you said for a few days. You mean I have to babysit for two weeks!"

"No. Not exactly."

"Okay, this is weird. They just show up out of nowhere and you go traipsing off to visit them. Why Daddy?"

Cordell made up a lie. He couldn't tell his daughter that her grandfather might still be alive. "They have some things they want to give us that belonged to Delia's mother. They just found each other and she needs time to connect with them and come to terms with all that has happened."


"So...you want me to take care of Mira and Stone. For two weeks? Can't Mira and Stone just stay with Jewel?"

"Well you can read my mind. Hmm that is not a Genie trait. How did you do that?" laughed Cordell because he knew the next thing he was going to say wasn't going to sit well with Angie. "And so are you."
"What! Why can't I can stay here? I don't need a babysitter! Daddy, I am 16 years old!"

"Exactly."

If looks could kill Cordell would be a dead man. He almost felt bad for her. But damn it, he was not leaving his 16 year old daughter home alone. He knew she had boyfriends and even if she wouldn't take advantage, well, he was a guy and he knew how teenage boys and hormones were. If she weren't so sad he would have laughed.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now that he made one child mad at him he figured he better make sure Mira was okay and after changing he came down and picked her up. He loved his children more than anything. His family was his life. He hated to admit that he was beginning to feel a little jealous of the fact that HE was no longer the focus of his wife's attention. Delia now had grandparents and a father. He figured they were all dead or he may not have invested the time and effort to look for them. And here he was with none of those things, only Delia and their children and grandchildren.

He held Mira while his thoughts ran wild. "Daddy! Daddy! Daddy! Can we??? DADDY!" Mira had been chatting away to him while he was lost in his thoughts and he heard nothing she said until the little girl grabbed his face and screamed his name.

"Can we what Mira?" he said.

"Play tickle?"

"Are you sure you want the tickle monster?" The little girl squealed.

"Nooo!" Then she said breathlessly, "Daddy. Look," and pointed to the ceiling.


Cordell obligingly looked up trying not to laugh and she clumsily tickled him under the chin imitating the same trick he pulled on her countless times.

He busted out laughing when Mira began to giggle with delight at having fooled her father.

"Time for you to take a nap young lady."


"Potty first!" she said stalling.

Cordell put her down so she could toddle to the bathroom and laughed when he saw Angie griping at Stone and giving him her exasperated look. Poor Stone he thought. The only male amongst all the crazy females. Good for him there are only two left in the house and only one is older than him. He has had to live with multiple women and hormones and fighting. Stone deserved a medal but he would never trade the time he had with his girls for anything. He walked over to rescue his only son from Angie's tirade.

"Angie! What is going on here?"

Angie smiled her sweetest smile and looked at her father and said, "Stone just leaves his dirty clothes on the floor and the hamper is RIGHT THERE!"

"Angie, good try sweetheart. But you are still staying with Jewel."

Angie turned around and stormed off to her room.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pete Lancaster, Corrie's on again - off again boyfriend had continued to stalk her even after they graduated. Pete had become a full fledged vampire after he turned 20 and exuded power which Corrie was enamored by. She was drawn to him unlike she was before. Before it was just a game to see if she could get him to do her will. She knew she still could. She was a Genie and had practiced that power A LOT! It was even better that he couldn't drink from her. But there were things she could do for him and he wanted that as much as her power. And he had money. Lots of it. A match made in heaven! So when Pete asked Corrie to move in with him, she readily agreed. Now to tell her Dad.

"Dad, we need to talk," started Corrie.

"You don't have anything better than that to start a bad conversation?" asked Cordell suspiciously.

Corrie sighed. "Well, I don't think it's bad."

"So, if it's good you would say, 'Guess what Daddy!' and be really excited. You don't seem so. I don't need to be a mind reader to know what those four words mean - so what is the bad news?"

"Daddy! What a buzz kill. Okay, Pete asked me to move in with him and I am going to do it. I am moving out of our rent house so you and mom can lease it again."

Cordell was so upset his magic started spewing. "What? Just like that? No engagement, just living together? You do know he is a vampire and his parents are not known for their high moral standing? Corrie, this is going to kill your mother!"

"Daddy! That's all you care about. What Mother thinks. What about what I want? I am glad I am getting out of this place. You guys think you are so much better than everyone else."

"No Corrie. I care about YOU! What happens to you. I want you to be happy but I don't see a good result with Pete. Damn Corrie, don't you know I know you use mind control on him for fun! And you are going to live with him. This will NOT end well!"

"You can't control me anymore. I am 20, have a job and can do with my life as I please."

Corrie looked at her phone. "That's Pete now. He has come to pick me up. We are going to the rent house to pack my things. I will be out by this weekend."

"Corrie, sweetheart..."
"Save it Daddy."

"I can't change your mind?"

"Nope."

Cordell was heartbroken. Then he said softly, "Okay Corrie. I know we can't stop you. We just want you to be happy.

And just so you know, your mom and I are leaving tomorrow to go to Moonlight Falls to visit her grandparents for two weeks. The kids, Angie, Stone and Mira, are staying with Jewel so the house will be empty. You are welcome to use it as needed. In fact, if you could come by and pick up newspapers and just check on things, we would be grateful."

"Sure Daddy," she said and ran out the door to meet Pete.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Corrie and Pete went to her rental and grabbed a suitcase. "We have more time to clear my things out. My parents are leaving town for two weeks," said Corrie to Pete.

"Good...I didn't want to pack anyway. Just grab a few things and let's get back to my place. This place is awful."

"Sure thing Pete. I will only take a minute."


Pete wasted no time getting Corrie to his bed after they got to his house. "Now, isn't this MUCH nicer than that old rental place? Nothing but the best for my girl," said Pete. Corrie sighed. At least he paid attention to her and acted like he loved her. She was pretty sure he really did and she loved him too. She was pretty sure she did.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jewel and Donnovan arrived to pick up her brother and sisters and get any last minute instructions. Delia greeted her oldest daughter, now a witch, and her husband. "Hi Jewel, Donnovan! Cordell is in the other room making last minute preparations. Come on in. Mira is ready and Angie, well Angie isn't super happy, but she will be fine. She is a trooper."

Jewel picked up her little sister who she barely knew. Her own daughter was older than her youngest sibling. "Mom I am thrilled to have this time with the kids. I barely feel like I know them. This will be a great time to bond and this little one. She is so sweet. It makes me have baby fever! Of course all I have to do is visit Alia and Jaycen! Those twins are a handful and destructive. Oh my goodness! It must be the wolf in them."

Delia laughed. "She is a good girl. She will miss her Daddy, They are two peas in a pod."

Then Delia looked at Mira and said, "You be a good girl for Jewel. You will have so much fun with your niece Cheyenne! She has lots of cool toys!" Then Delia turned her attention back to Jewel. "It's going to be strange. Cordell and I have never been away together. I mean, you were younger than Mira when we moved here and you will be 30 this year! And 6 more kids later... "

"Mom! Don't remind me! Cheyenne keeps wanting to know when she is getting a brother or sister. This is definitely going to put the pressure on! She will be so lost when you guys get back!"

Delia laughed again. "Oh! More grandchildren. That would be awesome! Oh, and I need to let you know. Corrie moved in with Pete."

"Pete? I didn't think she loved him. He was just a convenient distraction."

"Your father tried to talk her out of it and she would have none of it. You know how Corrie is."

"I hope she knows what she is doing."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"They kept him asleep for almost 200 years?" asked Donnovan when Cordell confided in him the real reason they were going to Moonlight Falls.

"Yes, apparently the fairies know a sleeping spell. Have you ever heard of it?"

"No. Man, I have never even met a fairy until, well Stone."

"So now we know why Jewel is so powerful. She is half witch and at least a quarter fairy."

"Yes," said Donnovan, "She surprises herself. And Cheyenne. She is going to be a strong witch as well."

"Donnovan, I am very happy that you and Jewel found each other. You have made her very happy."

"Well, I think I was drawn to the fairy part of her for sure. We are all drawn to them, supernatural and human - and repelled by - well - your kind. No disrespect. You have proven we were sadly mistaken."

"Donnovan, we earned that reputation. Genie's are still not someone that can be trusted. We tend to find it too easy to get what we want through the manipulation of others. I was lucky. And maybe you are right, it is the fairy in Delia that stopped me from doing the same. Thanks for taking care of our little ones while we are away. I know you are busy."

"That's what family is for Cordell," said Donnovan as he slapped Cordell on the shoulder. "I see that Jewel has already scooped up little Mira. Now where are Stone and Cheyenne? We need to get going."

"Last time I saw them they were out front on the teeter totter," Cordell looked out the window, "Yep, there they are. Those two will have a blast. At least he knows how to play with girls. Poor guy! Angie had to go to a friends house after school. They will bring her to your house when they are done. Thanks again."


Go to Chapter 139

Go Back to Chapter 137

No comments:

Post a Comment