Saturday, July 23, 2016

Chapter 136 - Biggest Mistake


Delia was so sad and leaned into her husband before responding to Dee. "I don't understand. How could sending her away from that bastard be a mistake. No, the mistake was you not going with her!"

Instead of answering her Dee asked, "Delia, your necklace. Did that belong to your mother?"

Delia's hand automatically went to the heart shaped pendant that she never took off. Then she noticed its twin around her grandmother's neck.

Dee began to explain, "I gave that to her when she turned 18. It is a special gift from mother to daughter. It is the mate to the one I wear to remember her by."

Delia swallowed. She had no idea where it came from other than her mother had always worn it. Now it felt like it might choke her. "I found it after she died. She tried to warn me about you but it was too late and I was too young to understand. I wear it because it makes me feel close to her."

"I'm so sorry Delia," said Dee as she became choked up again. "Having her wings removed accelerated her aging. She was only 40 in human years when she died. As I was saying the decision to send her away was the worst decision I have ever made. After Adele left I went to my bedroom and cried myself to sleep. The next morning when I went downstairs to tell Niall I was leaving him. He was panicked asking where Adele was. I told him. He started to cry saying no, no, no, no...I have never seen him cry before. He said he had just needed time to figure it out. He had gone to her room that morning to apologize and take her to her husband. He said he knew he was wrong to lose his temper. He said he was going to bless their marriage and welcome them into our home. Then he asked me where I sent her and of course - I had no idea."



Delia started to cry. Cordell was sitting there in shock.
"Niall took me to the room where he had locked up your father. The poor man thought he was going to be killed. It took a minute for him to understand we meant him no harm, well no additional harm. We had destroyed his life already. He was very depressed. I asked him if he would help us try to find her. 'Hell yes' was his response.

Niall begged my forgiveness. You have to understand, what he was going to do was against every single law that we lived by. But he knew his little girl loved her husband the same way that we loved each other and he wouldn't deny her. His initial reaction had been as leader first. He knew he was wrong and had intended to apologize. He had no idea I was going to send her away.

I had to forgive him Delia. I love him and he made a mistake, but not as bad as the one I made. I also needed forgiveness."

Delia had tears streaming down her face at the horrible mess that became her mother and father's lives. She couldn't believe she was beginning to feel bad for her grandparents. They had suffered the loss of a child and grandchild and were responsible.

Dee continued, "Delia, I promise we looked for her for 100 years. Much longer than we knew she would have lived, but we hoped she might have been able to discover some spells to reverse her aging. And the cloaking spell made it impossible anyway. After 20 years, Newt couldn't take it anymore.

We offered to put him into a deep sleep so that he could survive while we continued to search for her - or - you. That is where he is now. It takes a week for someone that has been under a sleeping spell to be able to fully wake and reorient. Especially someone that has been under as long as he has. We didn't want to wake him unless we were sure we had found you and you wanted to see him."

Dee had to get up. She couldn't sit any longer. When she did, Delia walked over to her and wrapped her arms around her grandmother while Cordell looked on. He was proud of his pretty lady. Things were going to work out.

The two women cried in each other's arms for a few minutes before breaking apart.
Dee asked her, "Delia, I know you want to meet your father and I do think we should begin the process to wake him, but I need to ask. Would you consider meeting with your grandfather?"


Delia took a deep breath before answering. She had always imagined him as an ogre. But after her grandmother's heart wrenching story she felt like she should. "Okay. But I think I have had enough for one day. Cordell, can you take me home please." Dee looked at the Genie. She saw the love they had for each other. It was palatable in the room.

Cordell replied, "Yes of course pretty lady. You could use a hot bath." Then he looked at Dee and said, "Dee, thank you for coming. How long are you and Mr. Thorn staying?"

"We can stay as long as needed."

"Okay, we will call you tomorrow and arrange a time and place to meet. Goodbye Dee."

Cordell and Delia turned to go then Delia ran back over to her grandmother and hugged her again before they left, much to the older woman's happy surprise. Dee couldn't help the smile that formed on her face. It felt good.

Go to Chapter 137


Go Back to Chapter 135



No comments:

Post a Comment