Friday, July 1, 2016

Chapter 124 - Sahan and Joy

Sahan and Joy decided not to wait - well Sahan didn't want to wait. He and Joy had a private wedding ceremony at City Hall and moved into his place. She would miss Alia, but she had Jaycen and figured they would be getting together soon anyway. As Joy lay in bed watching her husband sleep, she knew her parents would be disappointed but after the argument with her father, felt it had best to just get it over with. She would call her mom and let her know. When they saw how happy she was, they would be fine.

Sahan had been a gentle and patient with her for the past few years that he courted her without her parents knowledge. He proved to be a gentle and patient lover as well. Before they went to City Hall, he explained what it meant, him being a Vampire. He told her he would age at a much, much slower pace than her. Then he told her that he could make her like him if she wanted and promised not to do it without her consent. She believed him, but the prospect of getting old and gray while he stayed young and virile was unsettling. She knew she would ask him, she just wasn't sure when. All Joy knew was she had never been happier in her life than she was right now as Sahan's wife. It was the right thing for her. She wasn't even sure why him being a Vampire didn't really bother her at all. It was like learning he was a vegetarian. So what. It didn't change how she felt about him.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

While Joy and Sahan were consummating their marriage vows, Cordell and Delia were having a very different evening. Cordell had the unfortunate task of explaining to his wife that their daughter was dating a vampire who professed to be in love with her and she with him. He didn't doubt it for a minute. The two were very much in love and there wouldn't be anything they could do that would separate them. They would only succeed in losing their daughter and Cordell's first born child. He couldn't let that happen.

"Pretty lady, I am glad you are home. I have some things I need to tell you. Come sit down."  said Cordell nervously. He knew Delia wasn't going to take the news well given her past experience with Vampires.

Delia sat down and looked at her husband with a sense of dread. "What is so urgent that you had to wait up for me?"

"Joy came by this afternoon."

Delia jumped up. She couldn't sit there any longer. "Is she all right?"

"Yes. She is fine." Cordell got quiet thinking how he was going to break the news.

Delia looked at him, "Then what did she want? Is she moving away? Don't make me keep guessing Cordell!"

"No. I'm sorry. She brought her boyfriend by to meet me." Then he looked up at Delia. "It was Sahan. Donnovan's friend who was at the wedding flirting with her."

"You can't be serious! My baby is dating a vampire! I told her he was dangerous and to keep away from him. What happened when you threw him out? God she must be devastated. How is she?"

"She is fine."

"How could that be?" asked Delia sad and confused.






Cordell got up and went to where Delia was standing. It hurt him to see her so sad. "Sahan and I had a nasty argument. I walked downstairs and caught him..." Cordell paused. He couldn't tell Delia he saw him drinking from Joy, "kissing Joy and freaked out. I told him to get his hands off of her. Then I asked if she knew what he was. She didn't so I told her. I am sorry. I was just so angry. That set him off even more and he asked if she know about me to strike back."

"How could you? Now Joy is no longer innocent. I have to go to her. Is she with Alia? I have to bring her here. I have to explain."

Cordell grabbed Delia's arm stopping her from leaving.

"I don't know where she is. They left together. Sahan tried to protect her from our argument, in fact he begged her to leave the room but she wouldn't. Delia. He loves her. And Joy loves him too. She was so upset with me and I knew there was nothing more I could do. I left them alone to talk."

"My baby. Cordell. What are we going to do. We can't let her be with him. Vampires are dangerous. You don't know...."

Cordell put his arms around his wife to calm her. "Shhh. It's okay. I made some calls after they left. Sahan is not a danger to her. It is not like Vladimir. Sahan is just a man living his life just like us. He is not fighting for control of a coven. He is Donnovan's friend. I saw how he treated her and how he looked at her. He will never do anything that will hurt her. And, even after he confirmed that he was indeed a vampire, Joy didn't leave his side though admittedly she probably has no idea what that really means."


Delia gave up trying to leave and collapsed onto the bed. Cordell scooted closer to her and continued to comfort her. "We will call her in the morning after we have all had time to sleep on it. Come on, lay down. Please."

Cordell gently pulled her down on the bed. Delia reached up and touched his face tenderly. "You sweet man. I don't deserve you." Then she rolled over and closed her eyes.























Cordell stroked her hair until she fell asleep. She is wrong. I don't deserve her.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cordell called Joy the next morning. He wanted to talk to her before Delia got out of bed. He let out a sigh of relief when Joy sleepily answered the phone. Cordell heard the apprehensive voice on the other end of the line he took a deep breath when she said "Hi Daddy.

"Hi Baby. Are you okay?" 

"I am."

"Where are you? Do you need me to come and get you."

 Joy let out a nervous chuckle, "No Daddy. I am right where I want to be - for the rest of my life."  

"JOY! What does that mean. Are you with Sahan? What did he do to you? Put him on the phone!"

"Yes, I am here with Sahan, my husband. We got married yesterday. I am sorry Daddy. That was the only way."

Cordell started pacing. "God, Joy, are you pregnant? Why didn't you tell me."

Joy giggled. "No! - Well - I mean I couldn't have been until maybe last night."  

"Then why baby? You haven't even known him very long."

"Just listen. And don't interrupt. Sahan and I have been dating for almost two years. We kept it secret because of the way you and mom reacted to Donnovan and Jewel's relationship. I didn't want to upset you. At the wedding, we had already been seeing each other for awhile. Then I knew mom didn't like him, but you seemed to be okay with him. That is why we waited until she was at work. Seems we were wrong. But Daddy, we felt like you would never condone a marriage between us so we had to do it and then force you to accept us - or not. We hope you do." 

"Does Alia know about you two?"

"Yes, she was one of our witnesses. And we also told her about Sahan. Daddy, he won't ever hurt me. Please believe that. He loves me."

"I know. Any fool could see how much he cared about you yesterday. I love you too and just want the best for my little girl. What about Jewel and Donnovan?"

"No. We didn't want to wake Cheyenne so we didn't call them. Would you tell her for me? And Daddy...what is your secret? Sahan said it was yours to tell. I know you aren't a vampire. Are you a witch like Jewel?"

Cordell was relieved and shocked. He wasn't sure what Sahan might have said about him. Genie's reputations were not unlike other supernaturals. Most assumed they were evil and he might have been but Delia changed his life forever. And she knew about Jewel and Donnovan? What else have his kids been doing that he had no clue about. "So he didn't tell you? That was honorable. Let me talk to him please Joy. I promise I won't punch him through the phone."

"Sahan here."

"My daughter says congratulations are in order. Are we on speaker? I would like to talk in private?"

"No. We can talk."

"Thank you for giving me the opportunity to tell Joy about myself. Her mother and I hadn't planned on telling her. We wanted to protect her. But you must know, in light of the current circumstances, we are going to have to tell all of her sisters and eventually her brother the truth about all of us. You. Me. Donnovan.

"I told her about Donnovan. Maybe I shouldn't have, but I wanted her to know I wasn't the only one."

"Sahan. I hate to ask this but I must. Are you going to turn Joy? You know you have to eventually - right?"

"We have discussed the idea. But I will not unless she is ready. You have my word."

"Sahan, you can tell her about me, but know that I am not Evil. I never use my powers to hurt anyone - not since her mother freed me. She saved my life. I know I threatened to Banish you, but I was angry and afraid for my daughter."

"I will be kind Mr. Shinn. You don't have to worry about your daughter. I would give my life if needed to save hers and would never do anything to cause her pain."

"Thank you Sahan. You can call me Cordell. Welcome to the family. Tell Joy I love her and hope to see you two soon." Cordell disconnected. Round two with Delia is coming up soon.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In an effort to make things as calm as possible for the big reveal, Cordell picked up his son to give him a bath. It was a favorite time for both of them.

"Okay little man. Let's get you scrubbed." said Cordell as he plopped him in the tub. "You are almost too big for this. Your feet stick out!" Cordell wanted to enjoy this time with his son because he was almost 5 and would be starting school soon.

"Owie, Daddy, that hurt...." whined Stone when Cordell started to scrub his little back.

"I'm sorry big guy. Where does it hurt?"

"Ouch! There!" said Stone when he rubbed his hand over the sensitive area on Stone's back.

"Hmmm. Be still and let me check." Cordell ran his hands lightly along Stone's back trying to see exactly what was bothering him. He might have a nasty bite or maybe he fell and hurt himself.

Cordell spied two little lumps equally spaced on Stone's back. "I think I found your booboo spot." He pressed lightly on one of the lumps and Stone yelped.

"Owwww! Stop it Daddy. No more!"

"Okay. Okay. No more. Did you fall down?"

"I don't know." whined Stone.

"Okay. We are done kiddo. Sorry. Just be careful. If it doesn't stop hurting soon, we will need to go to the doctor."

"NOOO! I am better. No shots!"

Cordell let out a loud belly laugh. "Okay deal. No doctor and no shots. How about you run play with your blocks."

Cordell put Stone down and he ran over to his favorite toy squealing, "Yay! Blocks!"

Go to Chapter 125

Go Back to Chapter 123



No comments:

Post a Comment