Saturday, July 23, 2016

Chapter 135 - Adele and Newt

Cordell looked over at his wife to be sure she was doing okay as Dee continued talking about her parent's love affair. 

"I continued to watch them that day and could tell they only had eyes for each other. 

Niall was observing them as well and I am sure he noticed the spark between them.



Newt invited her to join him for a quick bite. He told her stories that enraptured her. The way that Adele looked at him when he wasn't looking, well it said volumes. She was already falling in love with him.



My daughter impulsively hugged the handsome instructor to thank him for helping her learn to skate as well as for the meal he bought for her. He was smiling ear to ear when she hugged him. He didn't want the day with her to end so he asked her to join him on a bench in a more secluded area of the huge park.

I continued to watch from afar hoping she didn't know I was spying on her. When Newt put his arm around her and she snuggled into his embrace it warmed my heart. The two of them had it bad.

Then, sadness overcame me. She was a fairy princess and supposed to marry a fairy prince, not a common human. Niall would not be happy and neither would the clan.







As the sun set, the two shared their first kiss with the promise of a lifetime of kisses to come.

You see, Delia, Newt didn't know at that time that Adele was a fairy princess. Humans are not aware of our existence even to this day. Even among other supernatural occults we still remain mysterious and somewhat of a myth. Adele however knew that their relationship was something that would not be allowed."

"So you killed him to keep your precious secret!?" said Delia with such vitriol that is took Dee's breath away for a moment.

"No Delia. Your father is actually very much alive," said Dee sadly.

Delia gasped. She was incredulous. "What! You made her think he was dead! How could you!? And where is he. I want to see him!"

Cordell interjected, "Darling, please, lets hear the whole story first."

"Thanks Cordell," said Dee and then to Delia, "You will see your father. I promise. But please let me finish. You need to understand everything first."

"I thought maybe Adele had broken off the relationship with Newt because she never mentioned him again for almost a year. But then she started to become a bit withdrawn. I didn't know why until I saw him come to our house.

It was late in the evening. Adele sneaked downstairs thinking we were asleep. He was going to demand that she tell us about their relationship so they could be together and stop sneaking around. They were married. I know this now, I didn't know then what they were discussing but as I watched them together, it was obvious they had become lovers.

Newt looked sad when he first arrived and then the two of them sat down together in the courtyard.

They talked and appeared to be discussing something very important. Unbeknownst to me, Adele had already told Newt about her secret and that relationships with humans were forbidden by penalty of death. She couldn't tell us that they had secretly married or that he knew about our kind. But he was insistent that they tell us anyway and suffer the consequences. Surely we would not punish our only daughter and only child. This was when she told Newt that she was pregnant.

Newt was overjoyed. He loved Adele very much and they kissed like they couldn't get enough of each other. Then Adele began to cry. She told him they would have to run away. No one could know that he knew her secret. He would be put to death. They began to plan their escape right there in the courtyard.

Newt pulled her into his arms and held her for hours. Adele was exhausted both from her pregnancy as well as the stress of telling her family and had fallen asleep in his arms. That is when all hell broke loose. Niall found me watching them with tears in my eyes just knowing how much Adele's heart was going to be broken. Again, I was not aware of anything at this point other than they were very much in love with each other. When Niall saw our daughter in the arms of the human man he ran downstairs and pulled both of them inside. He locked Adele in her room and Newt in another.

Niall thought I knew about their relationship and was hiding it from him. He yelled at me and we had a terrible argument. I sat him straight and he apologized. Then I asked him what he was going to do and he said he wasn't sure yet, he needed to have a discussion with his daughter first. I asked if I could talk to her first and he reluctantly agreed.

I went to her room and found her standing by her window crying. I expected that. We talked for a few minutes. She didn't want to look at me for fear of judgement but I assured her it would be okay. We would figure out how to end the relationship without him remembering her.

That is when Adele finally said the words that would change everything. 'I love him mother. We are married and I am carrying his child.'

My heart broke in a million pieces. I knew that Niall would be furious. I asked her as gently as I could if he knew about us, that we were not human but fairy. She simply nodded. I wasn't sure how to fix this but I had to tell Niall. We had to figure out a plan."

Cordell pulled Delia next to him. "How are you holding up?"

"I'm okay," she said flatly then looked at Dee, "Go on."

Dee took a deep breath and let it out slowly. "This is the worse part and I am so sorry you have to hear it," she said before continuing the story. "As soon as I told Niall he ran into Adele's room and they too had a terrible fight. He took her wings away and told her if she wanted to sleep with a human then she should be one and told her she would never see that man again and locked her in her room. He told her she was a disgrace.

When he came out he was so angry he wouldn't even talk to me. I truly thought he had 'disposed' of Newt as was the law or was planning to. He just jerked out of my hands when I tried to get him to talk and said 'Leave me be!' So, I kicked him out of our bed. After the big lug fell asleep, I went back to Adele's room. I was truly worried about her and needed to know what he told her.

I found my daughter curled up in a ball on the floor at the foot of her bed crying. I called to her and she wouldn't respond so I knelt down in front of her and pulled her hands from her face so she would look at me. I asked her to tell me what her father had said. She just sobbed louder unable to really talk at all because of her broken heart.
I finally coaxed her to get up and helped her over to the bed so she could sit down. She barely could even stand up." 

Dee turned to Delia and said, "Delia - your mother was a very strong woman and we did her wrong. But you have to understand times were different 200 years ago and we were - are - in a position of leadership in our clan and are sworn to keep our kind safe. I know this doesn't excuse what happened, but just so you understand why all the turmoil surrounding Adele and Newt's relationship."


Getting no response from Delia but a glare, Dee continued. "Once I got Adele on the bed her sobbing was a little less. I rubbed her back for a long time soothing her and telling her how much I loved her. When I said her father loved her too she became vehement and said he doesn't love me. Then she finally told me what he said and did. That is when I found out he had taken her wings and told her she would never see Newt again to get over him and she was to stay locked in her room until we could figure out what to do about the baby. 

Then Adele got off the bed and went to her window to look out. Her next words chilled me. She told me she would have taken her own life had she not been carrying Newt's child. She still had a piece of him to love and if that bastard of a father did anything to take that away she would kill him first.
That is when I knew I had to leave Niall. I couldn't live with someone that would destroy his own daughter without hesitation. But I couldn't go with her. I needed to help her escape and if Niall came after me then so be it.

I pulled her into my arms and dried her tears then told her she needed to pack what she wanted and I would help her escape. I gave her enough money to start a new life somewhere far away. I couldn't give her back her wings. Only the one that takes them can restore them. There would be no more killing. No one else would die. She would have her life and her baby's.

I saw a small glimmer of hope shine through. She was afraid for her unborn child and now she had something to live for.
I came back into her room a few minutes later with the money. She had packed. I held her close knowing..."  Dee had to stop and compose herself before she could continue. "Sorry, this part is hard. I knew that I would never see my see my precious daughter again in this lifetime and would never know my grandchild. I put a cloaking spell on her and said she couldn't tell me where she was going. I was trying to protect her." Dee stopped again for a few minutes before she could continue and put her head in her hands and said, "That was the biggest mistake of my entire life."


Go to Chapter 136

Go Back to Chapter 134





No comments:

Post a Comment