Monday, July 25, 2016

Chapter 137 - Meeting Gramps

Friday morning not long after Stone and Angie were off to school and Corrie went to work at the acting studio, the doorbell rang. Delia knew it was her grandparents and got a knot in her stomach. This meeting was bringing her one step closer to meeting her father - if everything Dee told them earlier that week was true.
She stayed back while Cordell answered the door and ushered the older couple in. Dee stuck her hand in his whispering, "Thank you son. You have done so much, we can never repay you." Then Niall added in his booming voice, "Indeed Genie, indeed." Then he saw Delia standing behind her husband.
Niall suddenly went quiet and just smiled the sweetest apologetic smile he could when he locked eyes with his granddaughter. Delia melted under his gaze and walked over to him.

Delia was surprised at how kind his eyes were. She could see by his presence that he commanded authority, but when he looked at her it was with love, kindness and adoration and a little pain that she could sense just beneath the surface.

As her grandfather shook her hand he said, "Delia, you even are more lovely than your grandmother described. Her words didn't do you justice. It's an honor to meet you."

"Why thank you, uh, Niall," she said unsure of what to call him. She decided Niall and Dee would work.

Then Cordell called over his shoulder, "Niall, Dee please come in and have a seat," and they followed him into the living room.

As they walked into the room, Mira began to cry. "Oh Delia, may I?" asked Dee. I haven't held a baby in so very, very long. And my great-granddaughter at that."

"Of course, Dee," replied Delia.

Dee walked over and picked up the little girl. Dee was so happy she allowed her to pull her from her crib.



"Delia, she is gorgeous!" said Dee, and then started to coo to Mira, "Hi you beautiful little girl. I am your great-grandmother. My name is Dee! It is so very nice to meet you. What is your name?"

Mira giggled and said, "My name is Mwira" Then she started chanting, "Dee-dee-dee.  Dee-dee-dee," and laughed some more.

Dee was in love. When Niall asked if he could have a turn she said, "Nope. First come - first served and then sat down on the couch to prove her point." Delia laughed at the couple arguing over possession of the three-year old.


Everyone followed Dee's lead and had a seat. Cordell always in control of the situation started the conversation, getting right down to the business at hand. "Niall, we are so glad you are here in our home and meeting our family, but why don't you tell us more about what happened the night you found Delia's parents in your courtyard. Dee has told us what happened, but I think my wife needs to hear it from you as well." Delia was bracing to hear the story again and Dee looked at her with a little sadness on her face.

Niall began. "I completely understand son. You see I loved my daughter more than anything. She was our sunshine. So beautiful with her green eyes and blond hair. The only child we were blessed with. She was destined to be married to a fairy prince and there were plenty of them lined up to court her." Then in a softer voice, "But she didn't have eyes for any of them. I had thought she never acted on her infatuation with her human skate instructor. I was sorely wrong and because of my prejudice and unwillingness to see past our customs, I just didn't see it, didn't want to see it." Niall continued the story filling in a little here and there that Dee hadn't said at the restaurant.

Finally Delia spoke. "Niall, I really want to see my father. Can we arrange that? And, well, I have my mother's Urn..." Delia paused to regain her composure trying not to cry again. When she finally swallowed the lump in her throat she began again. "I would like to give it to my father. When he wakes he will be devastated and maybe it will give him closure."

Niall looked shocked. "He will be VERY happy to see his daughter and all of his grandchildren. He is strong, like you Delia. He had already accepted that Adele was gone before we put him to sleep."

Delia looked at Cordell. "Then I want to meet him as soon as possible." Cordell nodded his affirmation.


Niall thought for a minute. "Dee and I can go back and start the process of reviving Newt. He will need a several days to regain his strength and be able to function. We will let him know we found you and what happened to Adele and that you will be coming to see him so he won't be so disoriented when you arrive. Our flight home is this weekend. So if you come in two weeks he should be ready to see you."

"Two weeks! I want to go now," said Delia.

Cordell stopped her. "Baby, two weeks gives us time to get things settled here and talk to the girls. Someone is going to have to look after Stone and Mira. Angie can't do it, she is in school. I think Jewel is the only one not working. Maybe she can let them stay with her. It will get here sooner than you think."

Delia got up. She was full of nervous energy now that they had a plan.

She walked over to where Niall was sitting and he got up too. "Niall, thank you so much for keeping my father safe and trying to find us. I understand you both were doing what you thought was best. I am just sorry we weren't able to find each other sooner."


Niall pulled Delia into a hug and kissed her cheek. "It is also you who was wronged. You had to grow up without a father. And I understand you went through a lot to even still be alive. You are an amazing woman and I am proud to be called your grandfather. And it was your resourceful Genie that found us. Thank him, not me."

Niall turned to his wife and said, "Now woman! It is my turn to hold that precious child! Give her up or you will walk home."

Dee laughed and got up and handed her great-granddaughter to her husband. "Here Thorn, but be gentle you big oaf," she teased.
Niall started telling her stories. The little girl was captivated and he too, fell in love. He was overjoyed. He always felt fortunate to still have his wife but knew that would be the extent of their family and the couple had come to terms with that. To find out that he had a whole family of supernaturals was more than he could believe. The Heavens were truly watching out for them. Maybe 200 years of suffering was their penance.

The door opened as Corrie and Angie got home from work and school at the same time. "Well, what have we here?" said Corrie when saw the strangers in her home. "I don't know," said Angie.

Cordell and Dee turned around to the stares of the two girls. "Uh Oh," thought Cordell and then said, "Uh, Delia, the girls are home. Corrie, Angie, come over and meet your great-grandparents."

"They are beautiful Cordell," whispered Dee.



Corrie couldn't help but be suspicious. She thought her parent's family was dead. "Dad, whose grandparents are they?"

"They are your mother's mother's parents," answered Cordell.

"So how do great grandparents just suddenly show up?" asked Corrie, "How did we not know about them all this time?"

"It's a long story and we will be able to tell you more when we return from Moonlight Falls. Your mom and I are going to go visit them for a few days in a couple of weeks."

While Cordell and Delia talked to the girls, Stone came home. As soon as he got introduced he started in on playtime with his great grandparents. After more than an hour of rough housing and piggy back rides from his great grandfather Niall, he stared to get tired.

Stone reached up to Niall and asked him to tell him a bed time story. He chuckled and said, "Just a minute let me put down this little one, I think she is ready for bed too."

When Niall came back over to get Stone, his sweet little blonde headed fairy, Stone was already nodding off in the floor. He picked up the little boy looking at him as if he were the most precious thing in all the world and carried him to his bed.

When Delia saw her grandfather picking up Stone she protested. "Niall, don't do that! He's too big. He needs to walk!"

"Delia, I have missed their whole life. I want to do this. It warms my heart. Your children are all so beautiful. And this sweet little boy is a fairy. I am truly blessed to have found you and your amazing family."


After Niall put Stone to bed, he came back in. "It's time to leave. We have overstayed our welcome. We will see you in a couple of weeks."

Delia went to her grandfather and pulled him into a hug and squeezed him tight. "I have to admit I was suspicious of you before I met you and I feel nothing but goodness and love along with a full dose of remorse coming from you. You are sweet and humble and my youngest children already adore you. I can't wait to see you in two weeks."


After Dee and Niall left, Cordell grabbed Delia's hand and pulled her towards the stairs to their bedroom. "You look exhausted pretty lady. I think you need another hot bubble bath. But seriously, how are you doing?"

Delia sighed. "Damn Genie. I am going to meet my father. Do you know how nervous I am? What if he doesn't like me?"

Cordell busted out laughing. "Not gonna happen babe. Let's get to bed. We have a lot to plan."

Go to Chapter 138

Go Back to Chapter 136


No comments:

Post a Comment