Friday, May 27, 2016

Chapter 110 - Family Meeting

Delia had heard Jewel and her would-be-suitor outside because she had snuck downstairs after everyone was asleep to take a pregnancy test. She didn't want to worry Cordell if it wasn't positive. Damn! I am pregnant. This simply can't continue she thought. This will make 6 children. Poor Cordell, he can't take any more girls. I hope for his sake its a boy and for our sanity we can figure out how to make this stop short of abstinence because that simply won't be acceptable. 

Now I have even more bad news to deliver to my husband. Poor guy. He thinks Jewel hates him, I am pregnant and now I have to tell him about Donnovan. He needs to know. No secrets - that was our vow to each other. 


Delia got up early in the morning and asked Cordell to join her outside where it was quiet and cool to talk.

She started with the incident with Jewel. "I told him to find someone his own age to bang. I probably shouldn't have said that. She ran to her room crying after I sent him on his way."

Cordell put his head in his hands trying to stop himself from crying. He wanted so badly to comfort his daughter but she hadn't given any indication she was ready for that other than allowing him to hold her as she cried that first night she confronted him.

Then he looked at Delia and said, "How on earth could you say something like that in front of our daughter and to someone that she probably cares about. She is devastated enough already!

That set Delia off. "Cordell! Stop it! She is a grown woman - almost anyway. If she still wants to see him after she graduates we can't stop them. But I will not allow it while she is in school albeit only for a few more months."

Cordell didn't understand his wife's anger and snapped back at her, "What's gotten into you? I have never seen you so illogical. Jewel is in a really bad place right now and you don't seem to have any empathy for her at all. And then you yell at me? I am not sure I want to continue this conversation!!"

Delia was shocked. They rarely ever argue and she knew it was probably her pregnancy and what that was doing to her hormones causing her anxiety. "Wait. No don't go. I am sorry."

"Why Delia," said Cordell, "What is left to say? Jewel hates me and you insulted her friend."

"First, I don't think Jewel hates you. She was struggling how to ask us permission to see him. That is why he came over, he knew she might not ask. So for what its worth she does care and wants our blessing....but that isn't all I needed to tell you." Then Delia breathing hitched as little as she held back tears and continued, "Cordell our family is still growing. I, we are going to have another child."

Cordell immediately pulled her into him. "It's okay my pretty lady. Please don't cry. All of this is hard. I love you. I am sorry I yelled. We will get through this together."

The more he comforted her the harder she cried. He wasn't sure what to do to make her stop.

"But what if it is twins again? I don't know Cordell," cried Delia.
"Look, the sun is coming up and shining upon us pretty lady. This is a good sign that things will be okay."

Delia finally released his hug and pulled back to look at her husband.

"You aren't mad?"

"Mad that you are giving me more children? Of course not. Look at the beautiful girls you have already given me. I couldn't be more proud of ALL of them," then in a softer tone he continued, "especially Jewel, she is going through a lot emotionally right now and we have to support and help her with it, even if we don't like the 'old guy' if we make her choose, my pretty lady, she will choose the 'old guy'."

Not yet ready to release Cordell, she asked, "How did you suddenly become such a wise father? I have raised many children - all of them different. Some very easy, others quite difficult. I loved them all dearly. But here you are telling me the right thing to do with our girls. Perhaps because there are SO many of them," laughed Delia, finally relaxing a little.

"And one more in the oven," snickered Cordell.

"Another girl?"

"Oh no, I haven't checked yet. But let me now. I love this part!" Cordell pulled her closer and placed his hand on her abdomen. "Oh! Pretty Lady! A boy! Thank the Gods! I just may live to see our grandchildren! I am not sure I could have survived another teenage girl."

When Cordell said that, Delia almost began to cry again thinking about her past experiences and her 'room of doom'.

"What is it?" asked Cordell sensing her change in mood.

Not wanting to ruin his excitement she just said, "Don't you knock me up again. I promise if you do, I will cut it off. And don't you dare leave me with all these Cordell spawn to raise on my own."

As soon as she said that he knew what she had been thinking.

Cordell whispered in her ear, "Cut if off if you must, but I will never, ever leave you," and kissed his wife.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jewel never said anything more about Donnovan over the next months leading up to graduation and stayed away from the park. She was afraid to see him again. She also wanted to tell her "father" that she loved him and understood that he really was her father, but she didn't want to talk, not yet.

Her mom approached and apologized for saying the rude things to Donnovan and begged her to try and see things from her point of view. She let her know that she and her father had discussed it and they were both of the opinion if she still wanted to see him once she graduated, they wouldn't stand in the way.

That's when she decided she needed to tell Alia that they were only half-sisters and to let her father know he was her father in her eyes. Her mom suggested a family meeting. Jewel agreed and was shocked at the relief that displayed on her mother's face.

Delia asked Cordell to join her in the spa to relax. She wanted to tell him of her talk with Jewel and her idea for a family meeting.

Cordell held her and she began to talk about upcoming events - Jewel's graduation, her pregnancy which they hadn't told the girls about and how Corrie had become a bit too arrogant.
"Genie, we need to have a family meeting - at least with the three oldest to talk about the elephant in the room, and I don't mean me, I mean Jewel and you, plus we need to let them know they are getting another sibling. Should we tell them its a boy?"

"Hmm, yes - I think so. We also need to figure out where this child will sleep. You do realize this house just became too small. We can put a crib in our room for now, but...Jewel?"

"Babe, I spoke to Jewel and she said she is ready to let Alia know. We can talk to Corrie when she is a little older. Right now, I really think she might be mean to Jewel. Heaven knows we have to figure out how to keep Corrie busy while we talk."

Cordell got out of the spa and sighed, "No time like the present. I will round up the little ladies. See you inside." He had no idea what to expect with a room full of hormonal teens and a pregnant lady. He felt like he was being led to slaughter - at least Delia had calmed down a bit.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
When his lovely ladies had assembled, they all looked at him expectantly when he decided to start the 'meeting'. He had never been so intimidated in his whole life. He could reduce the room to a puddle of tears if he wasn't careful.







"Your mom and I have some things we need to discuss, a lot of things actually. I want to start first with what you ladies have probably already figured out. Your mom and I are going to have another baby."

Jewel looked at her father like he was a loon. Alia and Joy just smiled and sighed and thought in unison, another little one to diaper and feed, at least they are cute.


Cordell heaved a sigh of relief when no one made any outburst. "Okay, so I know you expect it will probably be another girl, but, surprise! You are getting a baby brother! Even though I am still outnumbered at least there will be a little more testosterone around here."

Jewel winked at Delia and said, "There is already enough of that around here!" Alia and Joy just giggled and blushed.

Delia piped in to help him out. "So that brings us to the second topic. We are out of room. We never planned to have this many children." Delia saw Jewel smirk at her statement and just smiled at her. "We need to figure out sleeping arrangements. Corrie and Angelica are going to be crowded in their little room when Angelica is old enough to sleep in a regular bed. Until we figure it out, we are going to put the baby's crib in our room. But he will eventually need his own room. He won't want to share a room with a girl and I am sure you don't want a nasty little boy in yours. Suggestions girls?"
Jewel cleared her throat and spoke up. "Mom, and then looking at Cordell, said "Daddy, I am graduating next month and already have a job lined up. I could move into an efficiency apartment. Then Corrie and Angelica can have my room and the new baby can have theirs. It would be big enough for one."

Delia began to panic. "Jewel, you don't have to leave. That is not what this is about. We want you to stay here as long as you want."


Jewel looked at Cordell and said. "Daddy, I love you very much and this is not about us. I promise. I just feel it would be good for me. I am not going far."

Joy was shocked at what she just heard and wondered if they were going to say anything. Alia was a little confused and looked at her father for some sort of explanation.

Jewel proceeded to tell Joy and Alia that they were only half-sisters. That Cordell was not her real father, but he was her real father in every other sense of the word. And she felt like they were her sisters in the same way.

Delia was so proud of her daughter. She knew it was hard for her to say those things. And she could see Cordell tearing up as Jewel spoke and Alia trying to process it all.

Delia added when she was through, "Please, Joy, Alia, don't say anything to Corrie about this. She is too young to fully understand. It would serve no good purpose."












Delia continued, "Before you girls get up, we have one more thing to discuss. A graduation party! Our first daughter to graduate and we are so proud. I thought we could rent out the party warehouse and invite your friends from school."

"Cool - a party!"exclaimed Joy.

"Jewel, we will need to start looking for a place for you. I am kind of excited!" said Delia. Cordell sat very quiet. He was still choked up from what Jewel had said and sad his first little girl was going to leave them.He thought he was going to make these females cry and now and he is the one blubbering.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Cordell! I think I am in labor. Feel that - owww - it hurts," said Delia. 

"Oh wow, your stomach is really hard. Now it stopped. Better?"

"Yes. Guess I will be driving us to the hospital Genie," laughed Delia in between contractions. 

"But we need to get a move on it, these pains are getting closer together."

"Okay, I'll get your bag, tell the girls their little brother is on the way and meet you in the car."

Delia and Cordell made it to the hospital just in time - Delia once again driving them. Thankfully the hospital was less than a mile away.

The soon to be big sisters gathered in the twins room and discussed how excited they were to have a new little brother and the novelty of having a little boy in the midst of the girls. "At least Daddy will finally have someone to play ball and fish with," said Joy. Corrie thought it was silly and said, "Yes, but I bet he isn't special like me and Daddy!" The older girls just stared at her like she was nuts. They had gotten used to her superior attitude thinking she was somehow special. Joy started to confront her about it but as soon as she did she heard the car pull up in the driveway. They were home with their little brother!  

Cordell was very happy and Delia was too. Much happier than she was when Angelica was born. Not only was Stone Shinn a boy, he was also human. One less thing for Delia to worry about. She figured Cordell may have been disappointed that Stone wasn't a Genie but he would never say it. She felt really badly about voicing that she had wanted to cure Corrie, but the way that child is carrying on, she may bring it up again with Cordell. 

The happy couple brought home their little bundle of Joy the day before Jewel's graduation party. 




No comments:

Post a Comment