Sunday, May 15, 2016

Chapter 104 - Two Things

Delia lay awake after long Cordell fell asleep thinking about what he had said to her. He looked so peaceful and comfortable with himself. Maybe it was because he knew what he was. She had no idea who or what she was. After he told her their child was going to be 'like' him, a Genie, she didn't know what that meant. She was too afraid to ask and he was so excited she just couldn't let him know she was afraid of having a non-human child. She knew he still had some powers but didn't know the extent of them. She did know that like other types of supernatural beings, he lived a very long time.
Delia decided that night that she would have to do two things and soon. First, she would ask Cordell to explain what his powers were and how he would teach the newest addition to their family how to control them. And what of their other children? They hadn't told them that their father was not as he seemed. How do you say, 'Oh by the way, your father lived in a lamp for 1,000 years before I freed him. He is a Genie - isn't that cool'?   Next she would have to convince Cordell to let her drink one of her aging potions so she would be around to help him take care of their children. She wouldn't do it if he didn't agree. 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Delia slept late or Cordell just got up early. When she woke and his side of the bed was empty she went downstairs to find him. She stopped short when she found him peacefully enjoying some leftover crepes, surrounded by three ghosts, totally oblivious to their presence. 


Vladimir and Francisco, two of the men that had truly loved her and Troy, the one man that truly hated her seemed to be arguing. She got a sick feeling in the pit of her stomach and it wasn't morning sickness. She had never seen Troy manifest himself before. She hoped the former were maybe protecting Cordell from Troy.  She heard Troy say "Okay already, just leave me alone, I am going" then watched him vanish in a puff of yellow smoke. She waited until the other two vanished in red and then blue streams of smoke before approaching her husband. She had planned to confront him today about her potion and his powers but was too unnerved by the sight to do so and decided to wait until after their baby was born. 
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Because they were expecting another baby, Cordell had redoubled his efforts to include Jewel in everything and gave her extra special attention. It was paying off and she was much better.  She was a very big help with her little sisters.

Jewel would soon be a teenager and Cordell hadn't forgotten the warning that Delia gave him about hormones raging. Right about the time the new baby would be here she would be thirteen. He wasn't quite sure how she was going to react to a new baby in the house. But if her current actions were any indication, she would be gracious.

Cordell always made sure to fix her favorite meals or ask Delia to do so to make her feel special too. He hadn't told her he could conjure up perfect food in an instant. She had worked so long to be a wonderful chef, it would make her feel unneeded.









He loved to read Jewel bedtime stories and then would sit and watch her as she slept. He couldn't believe how much he had grown to love Delia and Troy's daughter. He couldn't have loved her more if she was of his own flesh and blood. When he and Delia married, he adopted Jewel so she could have his name. He wasn't sure if or when they would tell Jewel that he wasn't her real father. They had never discussed it.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Delia put Farah Joy or Joy as they had began to call her in the high chair next to her sister Alia to get them breakfast. She was enjoying her time off work awaiting the birth of their baby which allowed her to do little things like this.

She had already served Cordell and placed her plate.



As soon as the girls began to happily dig in to their oatmeal Delia joined him at the table seating herself so she could keep an eye on them.

Delia decided today she would ask Cordell about his 'powers'. She had to know what to expect.

Cordell thought about how to answer her question and when he dodged the answer, Delia said simply, "No. Secrets."

He knew then he had to let her know at the risk of upsetting her. He took a deep breath and began with the easy ones first.

"I have a few helpful powers that make taking care of the house a bit easier. I can picture the house clean and it will be - I can picture a perfect plate of food and it is conjured - I can magically clean other people."

Delia died laughing with relief. "No wonder it is so easy for you to take care of the house, the twins and a moody 12 year old! I thought it would be something more - uh - sinister I guess -"

"Delia!" interrupted Cordell a little too sharply making her jump. Then he continued quietly, "I am not finished. I can use mind control on others. I can only do it for short periods of time, but, alas, I can control their actions."

Delia got very quiet, her laughter dying in her throat. "Anything else?"

"No."

Delia was dumbfounded. Whatever she thought he could do, mind control was not one of them. Her mind was racing with questions that she was afraid to voice.

Her thoughts were interrupted by Joy's cries of  "Mommy - Joy Out, Mommy Joy Down, Mommyyyy!" Delia got up to let the girls out of their high chair prison and said to her husband, "We aren't done."

Cordell picked at the remainder of his breakfast wondering how he would be able to convince Delia that he had never, not one time, used his mind control powers on his family and never, ever would - no matter what.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As much as Delia wanted to continue their conversation, it wasn't meant to be - not that day anyway. She had gone into labor. Once again she found herself driving the two of them to the hospital to deliver their 'genie' baby. She wondered if the hospital staff would know that the child was not human.

Cordell was so worried about his pretty lady that he was physically ill. He knew Delia was still upset and was sure she had a million questions for him. He tried not to let her see his distress for they were getting ready to be parents again which was a wonderful thing. He felt terrible that their conversation ended so badly. Grabbing his stomach he followed his wife into the birthing wing of the hospital.

Cordell and Delia welcomed little Cordelia Shinn to their lives a few short hours later. Cordell suggested that since this child was the best of both of them, she should carry both of their names.

Delia was silently relieved to see Cordelia wasn't blue then felt stupid for even thinking it might be possible. She did notice her skin had a bluish undertone that was only noticeable to her because she was looking for it. Regardless, Delia made sure they checked and double checked the baby before they let them leave. The doctors assured them she was perfectly healthy.

Delia felt somewhat better after Cordelia was born. Maybe it was just the stress of carrying a non-human child and then seeing how normal she appeared helped. She was surprised at how much she wanted to protect this child from everything bad. Not that she wasn't protective of her other children, but Cordelia was no doubt very special.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------













Because of all the commotion with the new baby, they decided to have one big party for Jewel and the twins and invited Jewel's school friends and some of Delia's coworkers. Joy and Alia would be 6 and Jewel was moving into her teen years. Milestones for her babies. Delia couldn't believe how long they had lived in Lucky Palms. It just seemed like yesterday that she, Cordell and Jewell moved in. Now they were a family of 6.

Jewel had grown into her name. It was eerie for Delia because the older she got the more she looked like her father. She wondered if Jewel would notice that she didn't look like her sisters and begin to ask questions.

Cordell knew they were in trouble when he looked at what a beautiful young woman Jewel had become. The boys would be lining up outside their door.

Farah Joy or Joy as she had come to be called, was very likely going to be a Delia clone. With her light blond hair and clear blue eyes, she was very pretty.

Alia, the youngest of the twins, had her father's oval eyes. She would look just like him if she had his sandy blond hair.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cordelia came to be known as Corrie.

The girls thought Cordelia was too weird so they voted to shorten it to Corrie.


Everyone wanted to get some baby Corrie love.

Jewel had become a surprise caretaker for her baby sister. Knowing where she was just a few short years ago, Cordell was happy that she was no longer feeling threatened by their growing family.
Remembering how Jewel reacted to her new siblings, he was determined not to make that same mistake with the twins. While they had each other which made it easier, he still tried to a make a point to always include them even when he was tending to Corrie.

Things were going well - at least Cordell thought so. Everyone had adjusted well to Corrie. She was a very sweet baby and suffered no lack of attention. Delia had not said anything else about their conversation. Maybe she has come to terms with it since she can see that Corrie is just fine. 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cordell's confident euphoria at the birth of their 4th child was short lived. Delia went into the 'room of doom' and found where she had stored the age reversing potion. She brought it upstairs and sat it on the table. This would be a difficult conversation and she was dreading it. Everything hinged on Cordell's answers.

Cordell saw Delia sitting in the dining room. By the look on her face he knew something was terribly wrong. He sat down and that is when he noticed the blue bottle with a bit of steam escaping from the top.

"What is troubling you pretty lady?" he asked suspiciously. "Are the girls okay? And, what is this?"
"They are fine. It's time. We need to talk." 

"Well, you can't be pregnant," he said sarcastically, "so it must be bad."

"Not funny Cordell," snapped Delia and grabbed the bottle off the table. "Let's go downstairs. We need privacy. I don't want the girls to hear or see this."

Cordell watched as Delia took off not seeming to care if he followed her or not. Something was definitely wrong.  

When he gathered his thoughts, he turned and slowly walked down the stairs to the basement. Delia had already poured the contents of the bottle into a glass and sat it on the table in front of her.

Cordell walked in and sat at the table with her. Delia looked so sad. He wasn't sure what he had done or what was making her this way. 

"First, you owe me some answers. This mind control thing..."

Uh oh thought Cordell, here it comes. If she doesn't trust me, I've lost her.

"Why didn't you tell me about this before now? Didn't you think it was a tiny bit important?"

'Delia, look at you - this is why! We have been together now for almost 13 years! I didn't think it was relevant."

"You didn't think it was relevant! You didn't think I should know you could control me!"

"Delia! I would NEVER use any of my powers to control my family - or you. How dare you think I would try to manipulate you. The thought is abhorrent. I love you!"

"How can I know that. If you weren't planning to use it on me, then why hide it from me." 

"Delia, honestly, the thought never even crossed my mind because it didn't matter."

"Didn't matter? Not even when I was baring my soul to you and showing you MY deepest darkest secrets? Not even then did you say - well - Delia, I have a secret too - I can control your mind if I so choose."

"Oh, Delia," said Cordell softly, "You are my pretty lady. You always have been and always will be. I love you more than words can say. And I am blessed that you love me back. If I used mind control on you, what we have would not be real. I need to know that you want me for me. I waited a very long time for you to admit that you love me. Don't you think I wanted you in my bed and in my arms every day. I told you over and over how much I love you and never expected anything in return. Do you think if I used mind control it would have taken so long?"

At that, silent tears streamed down Delia's face. She knew he was right. He had been so patient and gentle with her. They lived together for a long time and the only time they were together, she had wanted it. He never once took advantage of her or forced her to do anything she didn't want. She was so afraid that her love for him wasn't real and now she knows it is. 

Delia looked straight at Cordell and said, "Don't ever - ever - keep a secret from me again Genie. If you do I am not sure I will be able to forgive you."

Cordell visibly relaxed when she called him Genie. That was one of her pet names for him and she wouldn't have used it if she hadn't forgiven him. 

"Never my love, never," whispered Cordell as he looked at the ground. Then he looked up and asked, "But love, what is in the glass? Why do you have that?" He had begun to think it was some truth serum or something - which he would gladly have taken. 

Delia sighed. "This is the second thing I needed to discuss depending on the outcome of the first. It is my aging potion. Babe, I age faster than you and will soon be old and gray. And don't say it. I know you - you always say the right thing. I need to do this - for us and for our children. They need both parents. I couldn't bear to watch you tending an old woman when you are virile and strong. I need to be there with you. I want to be there with you. But I need you to be okay with it. The last time I used it, Lucas was a child and I was an old woman. He needed me. But now, I have you and our 4 children. Maybe it is selfish, but I want to live to see them graduate from high school, dance at their wedding, get to know our grandchildren. I don't want to leave this to you to do alone."

Cordell waited until Delia had finished her diatribe. "All I want to know is if it is safe. I can't lose you now. I would rather care for you in old age than to lose you today. I couldn't bear it."

Delia smiled. "See, you always say the right thing Genie," then continued in a more serious tone, "There are no guarantees Cordell. I have used it multiple times and the effect has always been the same. I no longer expect anything different. Please, let me do this. You would be the first person to witness it. I have always done it alone before."

Cordell smiled and got up from the table. "On one condition, pretty lady, if I might lose you today, I want to have a dance. I have been practicing while you were working and in all of our time together, we have never danced."

Delia rose and he took her in his arms and they danced to music that was only in their heads.

When they finished, Cordell took her in a warm embrace and told her once again how much he loved her. 

 
When he finally released her, Delia walked over to the table and picked up the glass. "Cheers," she said as she began to drink the frosty blue liquid while her husband watched with concern. 

She kept looking at him through the transformation. She wanted his face to be the last thing she saw should something go wrong.

The tingles began and she felt the changes in her body taking hold and began to smile. She knew it was going to be alright and she and Cordell would be able to grow old together.

Once the transformation was complete, Cordell rushed over to her and pulled her to him.

"I never thought anything was more beautiful than you, but my pretty lady, you are breathtaking. Maybe I feel this way because I almost lost you twice today."

"Stop with the sweet talk Genie! I look the same with a few less wrinkles. So shut up and kiss me!"

Before Cordell could kiss his wife, he heard a little voice calling from the bottom of the stairs.

They looked around and saw Joy standing there looking at them and broke apart.



Joy said, "I'm hungry Daddy."  Delia laughed and whispered to Cordell, "Mr. Mom - You know most kids would say I'm hungry Mommy."

Go To Chapter 105

Go Back to Chapter 103 


No comments:

Post a Comment