Friday, May 27, 2016

Chapter 109 - Too Old

Normally Jewel loved taking care of her little sisters, especially Angelica now that Corrie was being kinda bratty.  But today when Angelica cried, it was Joy that ran to care for her. She knew Jewel would probably not come to check on her. She had been pretty depressed and kept to herself a lot since she found out about Daddy not really being her father.  Joy decided she needed to help Jewel. She didn't care if they were only half-sisters. As far as she was concerned nothing had changed.
The next morning at breakfast, Joy sat down with her parents to eat. She had an idea and needed their help to make it happen. She focused her glare on her father and said, "Daddy - I am worried about Jewel. Ever since she found out about you not being her real father...well she hardly wants to do anything. Mom, I need you to tell her she has to take as all to the park.  Me, Alia and Corrie. She has to get out of her room and if I ask her, she will say no."

Delia almost spit out her food when she realized Joy knew about it. Cordell was speechless. 

"Joy, what do you know about this?" asked Delia.

"Just that Jewel found her birth certificate where it said she was adopted. She won't talk to me anymore and I miss her. I don't think she has told Alia or anyone else and I haven't either - just so you know," replied Joy. 

"Of course I will tell her. You are right, she needs to get out," said Delia sadly, "thanks Joy."

"Yes," said Cordell, "she needs you right now and to be around friends."

"No other comment?" asked Joy.

"Not now, I told her my story," said Delia, "let her tell you if she wants, but please don't say anything to Alia yet and definitely not Corrie. She is too young to understand."  
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
While Jewel busied herself making hot dogs, Corrie headed for the slide and the twins took to the swings. You wouldn't know they were almost 16. They acted like they were 12, but it is still fun to let loose on the swings.

Jewel didn't understand why her mother insisted she go to the park with the twins and Corrie. The twins were more than capable of looking after the little snot. She had become so uppity lately. I am almost glad we are only half sisters thought Jewel.

Then she looked up ans saw this really tall guy just staring at her and burned the hot dogs.

Damn, she thought, here he comes. He walked over to her and helped her clean up the mess. "My name is Donnovan Steel, what's yours?" he asked.

"Thanks for the help. I'm Jewel Shinn. I live right across the street." Why did I tell him where I live? He is obviously too old for me.

"Are those girls your sisters?" asked Donnovan.

"Uh. Yes. They are twins, obviously they aren't identical," stupid  "Alia is the brunette and Joy is the blond. And that little brat is Corrie. She thinks she knows everything as I suppose do most 7 year olds!"

"You are definitely the prettiest of the Shinn girls." he purred, "Do you come here often?"

If you are going to be here I will..."Uh, not too much, but if Corrie decides she wants to come, I guess we will be. I need to -uh- make another batch of hot dogs. Excuse me please."

"Okay, maybe I will see you again, Jewel Shinn," he said with a bewitching smile as he left.

It seemed like the park didn't lack for guys today. On the other side of the park as Jewel was getting chatted up by Donnovan, Joy had met another man by the name of Jaycen Hendrix who had to leave no sooner than they began to chat. Her friend from school, Clark Mace walked over and asked her who she had been talking to.

"He said his name was Jaycen. I haven't ever seen him before. We didn't talk long and he had to leave."

"There was something a little strange about him don't you think?" said Clark.

"No, not really. But I didn't talk to him long - oh gotta run, gotta help Jewel with the hot dogs. Bye Clark!"



Not only did Jewel and Joy meet new guys, so did Alia.

A man walked up to Alia and said, "I was watching you swinging. Are you from around here?"

Alia was a little frightened, especially when she looked in his eyes. They were mesmerizing. She looked around and saw Jewel and Joy also talking with guys that had come to the park so she figured it would be okay. "Uh, yes. I live across the street. I am here with my sisters," she replied shyly.

"Do you go to the High School or are you in College? - Oh and I am Sahan. Sahan Diwan."

College? He is way out of my league "Hi Sahan. I'm Alia Shinn. No, I am not in college yet," she said somewhat embarrassed.

"Well, you could have fooled me."

Pickup line...then she heard Jewel calling -saved by the hot dogs - "I gotta run. Maybe I will see you around," she said as she ran over to get a hot dog from Jewel and join her sisters.


As the sun began to set Jewel finally got her second batch of hot dogs going. She looked over at Corrie who had been complaining that she was hungry and saw what looked like sparkles and smoke all around her. It only lasted a second and then it was gone. How strange. Corrie didn't seem to notice so she didn't say anything.

Finally the hot dogs were ready and she looked around and saw Joy and Alia talking to some of the guys that had shown up at the park. Hmm, did we all meet someone today she thought and laughed to herself. She couldn't help but grin when she called the other two over to eat the hot dogs.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alia and Joy discussed the guys they had met at the park. That day was quite interesting to say the least.

Joy wanted to go back again in hopes the mysterious Jaycen would show back up.

"But what about Clark. Isn't he a Junior? He acted like he likes you," said Alia to Joy.

"We are just friends is all. He said he thought Jaycen was weird. I wonder why?" said Joy, "What about Sahan? He was kinda cute and I would swear his eyes glowed."

"Yes, I had a hard time looking him in the eye. But he is probably in college or even older. WAY too old for me. Mom and Dad would NEVER allow us to go out. But did you see who Jewel was talking too. They hit it off big time. I think she really does like him. Since she graduates this year, he is probably only a couple of years older than her. That could work."

Then Joy got excited and said, "Hey. Let's go back to the park again to see if maybe one of them is there. I would love to see them again. It might be fun, even if we have to take Corrie."
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The twins were happy when Jewel readily agreed to go back to the park. She was also hoping to see Donnovan again. He made her feel special and being with the twins was nice too. Joy had been especially sweet to her ever since she had confided in her about finding her birth certificate.

No sooner than the four of them arrived at the park did Donnovan show up. She swears he must have been watching to see if she came by.

He walked over to her immediately and put his hands on her shoulders and said, "I missed you these past few weeks Jewel. Such a perfect name for you. I am so glad you decided to come back. You are special somehow."

How does he do that - make shivers run down my spine with just words?
"I - uh - I thought about you a lot too," replied Jewel breathlessly so cheesy

"I really would like to see more of you. Do you think we might be able to go on a date?"

"Oh. Um, I am a Senior in high school. I don't think my folks would let me."

"Graduation is just a couple of months away, then the choice will by yours, no, so what is 2 months?"

"Let me talk to my folks. I don't want to start off on the wrong foot." so juvenile

Then he changed the subject saying, "Isn't that your sister over there with Sahan? Do you see the woman in the swing next to them. That is his sister. I don't think she approves of his 'playmate'."

 Sahan was sitting in the swing when Alia and her sisters arrived at the park. He called her over immediately. "Push me beautiful!" he said to her.

Alia caught her breath. I will have to touch him She smiled at him and walked around behind him and began to push the swing. Just putting her hands on his back and shoulders sent goose bumps down her spine. His skin was so cool. "Are you cold?" she asked.

"Not anymore," he said suggestively and then laughed. The woman in the swing next to him just glared at them making Alia very uncomfortable. But she didn't want to stop pushing him. She was drawn to this handsome stranger, glowy eyes and all.

The only sister that 'struck out' was Joy. But Clark was there and tried to flirt with her. She wasn't sure she wanted to flirt with him. She had really hoped to Jaycen again but sadly he wasn't around.

Clark sensed that was what she wanted so he put hand on her soft shoulder and said, "I get the feeling you were looking to see someone else instead of me."

Not wanting to hurt his feeling she replied, "No, I just wanted to get out of the house. Angelica is into everything now that she is walking and I didn't want to have to take care of her. It was nice to see you though."

As it got dark the girls all said goodbye to their respective suitors and left to go home.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------











Angelica was indeed walking around and getting into everything.  Cordell's second little Genie was growing up quickly. He scooped her up and hugged her before putting her down for the night. Then he went to bed himself.

When the girls came in from the park, they all went to bed too, totally exhausted, except for Jewel. She was trying to decide how to tell her parents that she wanted to date a guy out of high school - probably several years older than her.

She suddenly realized, as she thought about what they might say, that Cordell was indeed her father in every sense of the word. She loved him and it was obvious he loved her just as much as his own children. She needed to tell him this. She cared about how he would feel about her dating an guy several years older than her and wanted his approval.

While she was sitting in her room, she heard a knock on the front door. She went answer and Donnovan was standing there. She was shocked.

"Go out back. I don't want anyone to see us," she whispered.

"Are you ashamed of me?' he asked bewildered.


"No, Shhh, I haven't told my parents yet. Follow me."

"After they walked around into the backyard, Jewel asked, "What are you doing here?"

"I wanted to see your gorgeous face," he said sweetly.


"Not buying it Donnovan, why are you here?"

"Okay, well I DO want to see your gorgeous face and I figured you might chicken out and not tell your folks you wanted to go out with me. So I figured I would introduce myself and ask if I could take you to a movie. That's harmless."

"I am in so much trouble. You don't understand my dad. He thinks I am still 12. He can't stand to see me with guys. He practically threw my last boyfriend out of the house when he saw him kissing me."

The porch light suddenly turned on and Jewel heard her mom's voice calling, "Jewel? Is that you outside? Who are you talking to?"

Donnovan smiled and said, "That's my cue gorgeous," and walked over to where Delia was standing in the doorway. Jewel was frozen in place, dreading the outcome, but she was glad it was her mother instead of her father that found them.

"Who are you and why are you outside with my daughter?" asked Delia.

"Good evening, Mrs. Shinn, I am Donnovan Steel. Your daughter I met at the park. I came over to talk to you and she didn't want me to."

"She didn't tell me anything about meeting anyone at the park."

"No, she wouldn't have. But you see, there is something very special about Jewel and I think we hit it off very well and I would like to take her to a movie or just come over and hang out, but with your permission."

"Mr. Steel, how old are you exactly?"

"I am 25," he said quietly.

Delia was incensed. Although Jewel was 18 and would be graduating very soon, she couldn't believe this guy going after a high school girl.

"What's wrong, can't find anyone your own age to bang so you go after a high school girl! How dare you waltz in here and ask to see my daughter.

It's a good thing my husband is sleeping or he might take a swing at you! Get out! Get out NOW!"

"Respectfully, Mrs. Shinn, she will be graduating in just two months time. Surely you will not to stop us from seeing each other then," he pleaded.

"LEAVE or I will wake him up. I have nothing more to say to you. Goodnight Mr. Steel. And I don't want to see you lurking around my daughter while she is still in school."

Jewel heard the entire conversation and ran to her room and cried herself to sleep as Donnovan let himself out.

Go to Chapter 110

Go back to Chapter 108


No comments:

Post a Comment