Wednesday, December 21, 2016

Chapter 166 - Angie

Angie had the day off so she decided to go to her parents house early. She was curious about the “cleansing” as she referred to the ritual. She knew there was more to it. When she arrived they were just sitting down for breakfast so she joined them.


“It's so good to see you Angie. I am really glad you came early, that will give us a chance to catch up,” said Delia as they began to eat hoping that Angie would open up to her.

“Yes. I have missed seeing you guys too and we can discuss wedding plans."


“You're getting married?” asked Newt shocked.

“Yes. I just told Mom yesterday,” said Angie beaming, “Bobby proposed a couple of days ago. We dated on and off in high school. Since graduation, we have been steady. He is so good to me.”

“Congratulations then!” replied Newt. 

“You will be able to meet him. He is coming by after work. He is going to help me with the kids tonight. And speaking of tonight - Mom?  What is this cleansing thing really about?”

At that Newt got up from the table. “Excuse me, I am going to workout," said Newt as an excuse to leave the table. What they shared with their children was none of his business. "Congrats again Angie,” he said as he took his plate and left the room. 

After Newt left, Cordell looked at Angie, “Why don't you get a shower and change. We brought back some great wine from Egypt. We can open a bottle and celebrate your engagement.”

Angie looked back and forth between her parents. Neither one acknowledged her question. “Sure Daddy.”

“We will be in the music room,” said Delia as she got up to clear the rest of the dishes.

* * *

“You look so good Angie - and happy. Living on your own has been good to you,” said Cordell as he handed her a glass of wine.

“Thanks Dad. Getting out of here made it easier for me to get my head on straight and figure out what I wanted. Working out and jogging became my therapy. Of course working with the football team sort of mandated exercise. You would think I would have wound up with an athlete, but no, just sweet Bobby who was always there for me.”

“So, have you two set a date yet?” asked Delia.

Angie took another drink fortifying herself for what was sure to come, “Not yet, but we don't want to wait. It's not like we just met each other. And in case you are wondering, I have told Bobby about me. That I am a real life Genie. But I didn't tell him about Stone and the rest of my sisters. I just didn't want to scare him away. I love him. And when I told him about this cleansing thing, well he asked me if it was a “Genie” thing and if we would have to do it too. I had no idea. Mom. Dad. What is really going on?”

Delia answered, “I think we need to take one thing at a time. Let's start with Bobby and your family. Sweetheart, let me tell you first hand - lying to the one you love is never an option. And not telling is lying by omission. Just as bad."

“But Mom, I can't lose him. He is everything to me.”

"What did he say when you told him about yourself?”

“He didn't believe me at first. I had to demonstrate. It took him a couple of days but he decided he loved me and it didn't matter and now we are engaged.”

“Honey," replied Delia, "Jewel had the same reaction to Donnovan. Remember, she hadn't manifested her powers when he told her. She didn't know about your father either. But they are now happily married. Just exactly how accepting of your magic is he? Is there any reason to believe he wouldn't accept your entire family?”


"What do you mean ‘accepting’?”

Cordell answered, “Does he trust that you will use your magic wisely and not use it to manipulate others to get what you want - or - even him?”

“It's never come up. Dad, I really believe he trusts me. We've known each other a long time. I would never do as you suggested.”

“Then, you should probably tell him about your sisters and Stone too,” replied Cordell.

“Okay. I understand, I think. It's just really scary. I love him so much.”

“Then tell him before you get married. Start out with full disclosure," said Delia. 

“Okay. Mom. Dad. Again, in the name of full disclosure, what the hell is really going on that you have to send Stone and Mira away and you need Donnovan and Jewel to come help. Plus Grandma Dee, Grandpa Niall and Newt just happen to be visiting?”

Cordell and Delia exchanged a look. Delia studied her feet trying to figure out how to tell Angie what she asked. She was right. Full disclosure. Cordell saved her by responding to Angie's question, “Angie, sweetheart, what's going on is very private. Between your mother and her father. It is Newt’s secret to tell not ours. And it does involve more than simply cleansing the home of negative energy. But that is all we can say.”

Angie turned away, too upset to look at her parents, “You are doing some powerful witchcraft? Black magic then? Why?”

Delia couldn't let it go on. She grabbed Angie's shoulders and looked her in the eye, “No Angie. Not black magic. Oh sweetie, there is a long story that I will be happy to tell you but there isn't time now. Yes, it definitely involves powerful magic and potions. But what we are going to do tonight is NOT black magic. It is good. Pure white magic. It will right a wrong that was done 200 years ago. Please, trust us in this. And trust Bobby. If you truly love him, you should allow him to make the choice and come into our family with his eyes wide open.”

Angie knew she wasn't going to get the whole story, but understood that she would in time understand. “Promise me," she said, "that you will tell me the whole story. I want to know it all - the good and the bad.”

“Of course sweetheart. But we may need a case of wine to get through it," said Cordell with a laugh that successfully eased the tension between them. 

“The kids are home,” said Cordell, “I need to make sure they are packed.”

“Bobby should be here any minute. I will tell him, but not tonight. Not with the kids. When we are alone. But Mom, I think I need your story first.”

“Of course Angie.”

Bobby walked in and saw Angie. He went straight to her not even noticing Delia was still in the room and pulled her into a hug, “Hi babe, are we just about ready?”

Delia watched them. He certainly seemed to be totally in love with Angie and she lit up like a Christmas tree when he walked in. “Hi Bobby. Congratulations,” said Delia.

“Hi Mrs. Shinn. Thank you,” replied Bobby barely taking his eyes off Angie to respond, ”I am a very lucky man to have Angelica to agree to be my wife.”

“We couldn't be happier with her choice. Excuse me you two, I am going to see about the kids.”

* * *

Cordell had put Stone’s and Mira’s backpacks by the front door. Delia and Cordell followed them to the entry way. Stone was guiding Mira and helping her out. The two were very close partially due to the difficulties of the past two years and during that time Stone had become quite protective of her. “New backpack short stuff?” asked Stone, 

"Yes!" squealed Mira, "Daddy got it for me!"

“Nice! Grab it so we can go.”

“Bye!" said Cordell, "Mind your sister and Bobby - BOTH of you!"

Bobby turned and said, “Don't worry Mr. Shinn, they’ll be fine.” Angie just rolled her eyes.

After they left, Delia turned to Cordell, “I’m so nervous. Please tell me this will be okay.”

“Come here pretty lady,” said Cordell as he pulled her to him, “You don't have to do this - although I know you will. And, I meant what I told your family yesterday, if anything even looks a little like it is going wrong, I will stop it.”

“I know. I think the whole idea is suddenly too real. I start thinking of how my mother will react emotionally to being revived. I am afraid she will be very different from the young woman they once knew.” 

“We will cross that bridge if and when we need to. For now, why don't you lie down and rest for awhile before everyone arrives. This is going to be harder on you than anyone.”

“I don't know how much rest I will be able to get. My mind won't shut down.”

“How about I give you a massage. That will help. Come on pretty lady, let me take care of you.”

"How can I refuse. Lead the way, genie!"



No comments:

Post a Comment