Monday, December 12, 2016

Chapter 163 - Last Day Alone

It was the final day of their 'working' vacation/honeymoon. Delia went for a jog before it got too hot outside. When she returned Cordell was there to meet her.



When she walked up Cordell handed her a bouquet of flowers. "Here you go love, pretty flowers for my pretty lady!"

"How sweet. Thank you. But what is the occasion?"

"Well, it's our last day here. Our last day alone. I wanted it to be special. In fact, the flowers are just the beginning. I want you to dress up this evening. I have a surprise planned."

"Of course you do. Do you know how badly you are spoiling me? I will come to expect surprises all the time. But Cordell, it just isn't necessary. You do know that you being here with me is more than enough."

Cordell reached up to move the hair that had fallen in her face from her jog. "Delia, indulge me then. I love making you happy and seeing you smile. The past year has been difficult and you were so unhappy. All I know is I never want to see you like that again."


"Come on, let's get one last selfie before we have to leave. Kiss me pretty lady!"


"Perfect!" exclaimed Delia.

"Agreed, now you go grab some lunch, take a nap and then get ready. We need to be ready by 6:00."

* * *

Delia had done as he suggested thinking maybe it would be a long night. She was almost ready taking one final look. She had taken extra care to be sure she looked perfect for Cordell. He had been so sweet and attentive the whole time they had been here. Things between them had never been so relaxed. She had no idea where they were going but knowing Cordell it would be lovely. 

Delia stood up startled when she noticed Cordell's reflection in the mirror. "Genie! How do you do that? You sneak up on me every time I am getting ready! How long were you standing there?"


Cordell laughed, "Long enough to admire the view! And it is a beautiful one."

"You look very handsome tonight as well sir. May I ask where we are going?"


Cordell grabbed her hands. "Nope. That would spoil the surprise. Come on beautiful. Follow me."

"You know, I would follow you anywhere."

"Ahhh, my charms are working, no? Then let's go." Cordell turned and walked towards the front entryway. 


When he didn't go outdoors but continued down the hallway to the kitchen Delia was surprised. She thought they were going out. She followed him into the kitchen and saw he had the radio on and was pouring wine. 

When he saw that she had made it into the kitchen, Cordell smiled and continued pouring. "I found this in the Marketplace when I went to pick up the Dragon's Blood. It really is good. I hope you like it."


Cordell handed Delia a glass, "A toast - to us. May the rest of our lives together be as wonderful as the first 30 years have been."

"Mmmm," said Delia, it is wonderful! We will have to have a case shipped back home."

"Done. I will call tomorrow before we leave and make arrangements. It is right we have something to remember this night," said Cordell with a smile. 

The couple continued to drink the wine and talk. Delia began to relax and enjoy this time together with her husband. 












Cordell ended their dance with a flourish. Delia was in heaven. 

"That was just the appetizer. Are you ready for the  main course?" asked Cordell as he ended their dance. 

"Yes where are we going? I didn't see any really fancy places while we were out. I am stumped."

"Follow me, pretty lady. Right this way."

Cordell turned and walked back towards the entryway. Delia thought the limo would be outside waiting for them but instead of turning towards the front entrance, he went down into the courtyard.

Delia gasped. He had set a table for two complete with flowers, candles, table cloths, champagne, lobster and soft music. She sat down. "How...how did you do this? How did I not know? It's amazing. Better than anywhere in town could be."

"You're amazing," said Cordell, "Take a bite love and let me know if it is to your liking."

"It's perfect. The whole evening has been perfect."

Cordell laughed, "The evening has only just begun, pretty lady."

Delia laughed, "Oh I am so sure of that!"

They continued to talk and eat at a leisurely pace enjoying their time together in the coolness of the evening. 






Finally the lobster and the second bottle of wine was gone. "Let's dance again," suggested Cordell, "before it begins to rain. I love dancing with you." He took Delia's hand and led her up the stairs to the back walkway. 

When their dance ended, he spread out out a blanket and the two of them sat down to look at the moon and the stars enjoying the coolness of the desert night air.









"I wanted to make love to you right here under the stars," said Cordell with a sigh, "but the rain has different plans for us. Here let me help you up my pretty lady so we can have our dessert inside."


They stood up and Cordell pulled her in for one more kiss as the rain began to come down.


Cordell picked her up and carried her to what was their bedroom for one last night in Egypt.


* * *

"Eat up genie," said Delia as the couple ate their last meal at the Villa in Egypt, "The limo will be here in a couple of hours and we need to get dressed and pack that last bag."

Delia looked at Cordell, "I can't believe we are going home. It seems surreal. Almost like this was a dream. A good dream, but a dream none the less."

"Oh it was real pretty lady, believe me I have the knot on the head to prove it!"

Delia laughed in spite of herself, "That was NOT funny. I thought I lost you." Then the laugh died in her throat at that thought. "Cordell, if anything were to happen to you, I wouldn't forgive myself. I tried to push you away because I was afraid of losing you. At least away from me you would be alive."

"Delia, stop it. You are only doing this because we are going home where you have some bad memories. Nothing that EVER happened was your fault."

Delia decided to let him know of her idea and said softly, "But Cordell, what about the youth potion?"

Cordell looked at her like she was crazy, "What?"

She took a breath and continued, "I took it before Francisco died. What if the power to make someone young comes at the price of taking those years from another life?"

"That is ridiculous! Just stop that now. Are you worried that your father will die if you give your mother the youth potion?"

"I don't know. Maybe. And then me, I - I am getting older Cordell. You are still young and well very virile. I took the potion before I met you, but I have only 5 or so years left before I begin to decline very quickly. I will be an old woman and you will look like you do now. I was thinking of saving some of the potion I need to prepare for my mother for myself . . . but I am afraid."

"Delia...love, if you want to use the potion then I am all for it. Selfishly, I want you for as long as I can possibly have you and I am not afraid it will cost me my life. But if you decide not to use it, sweetheart, it's okay. I swear. I won't leave you if that is what you think. Regardless, that is not something that has to be decided today love. Let's think about what is to come. We are going to do something that few have ever done. We will reunite your parents. Can you imagine how hard it was for your mother to raise you alone without her husband? And how difficult it has been for Newt searching for her and your grandparents. Bringing them together just feels right." And it will get them out of our lives he thought.

"You are right genie, as always. We can talk about youth potions after we take care of my parents. Then maybe we can take better care of us."

"Perfect!" exclaimed Cordell with a huge smile, "Now smile pretty lady. As much as I loved being here with you, I do miss our kids and grandchildren. I am looking forward to seeing them and getting past the ritual. Things will be better once that is over with."

* * *

Cordell and Delia got dressed and packed the remainder of their luggage. Cordell dragged everything out onto the front steps. When he got the last one out he put his arms around Delia. "Well pretty lady, that's the last of it. I had the most wonderful time."

Delia leaned into his arms and replied softly, "Me too. But, last night, sweetheart, it was perfect. You were perfect."

"Except for the rain, it would have been. We will definitely have to do another honeymoon and not 30 years from now!  I think annually would work or maybe even every 6 months!"

"There is the limo," sighed Delia, "Time to go home."

Cordell took her hand and they walked away from their home away from home to head back to Lucky Palms and the ritual that would reunite her parents.

Go To Chapter 164

Go Back to Chapter 162


No comments:

Post a Comment