Saturday, December 10, 2016

Chapter 161 - In Pursuit of Flame Fruit


The next morning Delia got up and made breakfast. They were starving after the previous nights "doing" as they both fell into a deep sleep afterwards. "I hope you like the pancakes," said Delia as they begin to eat, "we are only here for a few more days and the pantry is starting to get bare."

"Sweetheart, everything you make is perfectly delicious, just like you," replied Cordell.

Delia once again nearly choked on her food. "Oh my God Cordell. Really?"

Cordell threw his hands in the air as he replied, "What can I say. It's the truth. At least as far as I am concerned."

It was Delia's turn to throw her hands in the air as she shot back, "Cordell, you are full of hot air. I guess I did say don't stop with the words."

Cordell just grinned as he continued to eat. "Pretty lady, I love you and that is not just hot air. I am eternally grateful and indebted to you. These past few days, even if they haven't been without a bit of business thrown in, have been wonderful. And the nights...well...glorious and I hope they continue to be even after we leave here."

Delia eyed Cordell as he ate another bite, "So...it's all about the sex is it?"

Cordell busted out laughing as Delia's phone began to ring, "Saved by the bell," he murmered under his breath as Delia checked the caller ID.

Delia sighed, "It's the kids."

"Hello," said Delia as she answered the phone.

"Hi sweetie! It's Dee." 

"Is everything okay?"

"Oh yes. Of course. The kids are great and Donnovan has everything ready. I just wanted to see how you and your genie are doing."

"Oh good. I was worried something might be wrong with the kids. Oh Dee, we are having a great time. Egypt is...well...different. But it has been fun. Cordell and I really needed this break. Thanks for taking care of Stone and Mira for us."

"They are such good kids. You should be proud."

Delia laughed, "Well, that is mostly due to Cordell. Especially this past year."

"Honey, did you manage to get all of the incense that Donnovan requested?"

"I knew there was more to this phone call than just checking to be sure we were having fun! We have the frankincense and myrrh. We also picked up some incense burners. Today we are collecting the ingredients for the Dragon's Blood. That should be interesting. But we will have everything before we come home."

"Oh, thank goodness. Every little bit helps." Delia could hear the relief in Dee's voice as she spoke.

Delia sighed again. "It's going to be okay Dee. We will be home before you know it. When are Niall and Newt coming?"

"They will be here about the same time you get back. It's a short flight so they are waiting until the last minute so Newt doesn't have to take too much time off work."

"Okay, I love you. Tell the kids we miss them and love them too. We will call if anything comes up. See you soon. Bye."

"Bye dear."

After Delia hung up the phone she told Cordell she was going to get ready and asked if he would clean up the kitchen since she cooked.


Delia decided a hot bath was in order. As she bathed she thought about what was to come in the near future. If everything went well, her parents would be together again. It made a chill go down her spine as the reality of what they were doing began to sink in. She owed all of this to Cordell. She probably would never have read her mother's journals and even if she did, she wouldn't have put the pieces together.

After she dressed she stood looking in the mirror. She was getting older and would soon be older than her husband. Genie's and Fairies lived much longer than she did. Should she save some of the fountain of youth potion for her and Cordell? Should she ask him?

Cordell walked up behind her interrupting her thoughts and put his arms around her. "A penny for your thoughts pretty lady."

Delia leaned into his embrace. "I was just thinking about what we will be doing in less than two weeks." She didn't want to tell him about her fears of aging.

Cordell kissed her neck before replying. "Is that all? You seem upset and I don't think that would make you unhappy? Did I do something?"

Delia smiled, "Of course not. I am not unhappy at all! Just a bit overwhelmed by the thought of what we are doing is all."

"Good. It's time to go. We should find a guide at the camp to help direct us to the pyramid where we can gather the flame fruit."

* * *

 "Look Delia, I think this is the pyramid we are supposed to go to."

"Are you sure Cordell?" replied Delia as a tour guide ran up to them.

"Hi!" said a man that ran up behind them, "Did I hear you say you were looking for the Pyramid of the Burning Sands?"

"Yes," said Cordell, "Can you give us directions or take us there?"

"Yes. But are you sure that you want to go there? It is very hot inside that particular pyramid. The others are much larger and not so hot."

"Uh, yes," said Cordell, "we were told that one is, uh, quite a challenge to navigate and we are up for challenge."

"If you are sure, I will take you, but I won't go inside. It is rumored there are fires that burn that can never be extinguished. Many have gone in but few have made it out."

"Okay. Let's go," replied Cordell confidently.

* * *

The guide dropped the couple off at the entrance to the Pyramid of Burning Sands. "I guess it is called that due to the flame fruit that thrives within," commented Cordell, "I will open the door. Read me the instructions pretty lady."

Dee pulled up the notes on her phone and told Cordell how to open the stone door.

 When the door opened there were two 'guards' standing in the entryway. "Miss?" called out Cordell.

The woman turned to look at them when the door opened. They walked up to her and Cordell introduced himself shaking her hand.




"You should leave," said the woman. 

"Why? We were sent here by Uum Moussa," replied Cordell.

"Uum??? The witch? For what? Uum talks to no one!"

"GO HOME!" yelled the lady at the far end of the entry.

"She is right. You should leave."


Suddenly, the woman became very pale. "I ... don't ... feel ... so ... well," she said.

"Are you okay?" asked Cordell alarmed at how she suddenly looked ill.

The woman fainted onto the floor before Cordell could catch her.

Delia screamed as the other woman ran away. "Cordell! Do something. Is she okay? Help her!"

Cordell reached down to feel her pulse. "She seems okay. Her heartbeat is strong. I am not sure what caused her to pass out."

He tried to shake her to see if she would come to and she began to stir.

"Oh...What happened?" asked the woman as she tried to get up.

Delia and Cordell looked at each other. "I am not sure," said Cordell, "you just passed out when I mentioned that Uum Moussa sent us here to find the flame fruit."

"Ohhhh. Uum. That old hag. She is powerful. She must have done that to me as a warning," said the woman as she finally was able to stand up.

"Are you sure Uum did that to you?" asked Delia, "Are you okay?"

"Yes. She was sending me a warning me not to stop you. You two go ahead."

"Why did the other woman run?"

"She is afraid of Uum. Everyone is."

"Do you mind if I check you?" asked Cordell.

"I am fine."

"I would feel better if you let me."

"Fine, but then I am leaving."

Cordell reached up and felt her head and looked into her eyes to be sure she didn't have a knot or her pupils were not different sizes. He was sure she was human but he wanted to check again. Her heart was racing, but otherwise she did indeed seem fine.



"Thank you Mr. Shinn. Please, go now. But be careful of the fire. It is everywhere. Some of the statues can be moved and may help you along your path. Check for hidden doors and inside all of the chests. You never know what you may find. Goodbye and good luck."

With the woman's warnings and advice Cordell and Delia made their way into the bowels of the pyramid.

Once inside they began to explore. "Look Cordell, the fire. It does indeed seem to be everywhere," said Delia, "And it is hot in here as the guide said it would be. I hope we can find what we need and get out soon. This place gives me the creeps."

"Delia, the statue. Maybe I can move it so we can get by. Stand back, love," said Cordell as he began to push the statue. The fire was extinguished as the statue went over it.

They walked around the opening made by the statue. "A chest. The woman told us to check them. I wonder if anyone knew that the statue would extinguish the fire? Well, there are treasures in here."

"Should we take it?" asked Delia.

"I don't see why not," said Cordell as he put the treasure in a bag, "Come on. Let's go down these stairs."


Delia gasped as they hit the landing, "Flame fruit! Now we can leave."

Cordell bent down and began to harvest the fruit, "Ugh. Not enough. I wonder if there is more to be found in here. Surely there is or Uum wouldn't have sent us here. I guess we need to keep moving."


 "A sarcophagus!" exclaimed Cordell, "I have never seen one before."

"It's beautiful," replied Delia.

"Should we look inside?" asked Cordell, "I would love to see a mummy."

"NO!" scolded Delia.

"What will it hurt. Stay back. I am going to open it and see if there is really anything inside besides dust."

"No Cordell. Please."

"It's okay Delia. The worst that could happen is there is a mummy inside."

"Exactly."

Delia stood back and watched as Cordell pried open the door.


"It's too dark to see said Cordell. Let me open it wider."



"Cordell....no...." squeaked Delia.


"Empty except for dust. Let's move on. Through that door - over there."


When they walked through the next door they were astounded. They had entered a large chamber surrounded by what appeared to be burning winged Sphinxes. "Look Delia, more flame fruit. This will be enough. Help me pick it and we can leave."


The couple began to harvest the fruit together. "It's so hot in here! Hurry Cordell. I can't deal with this heat much longer," complained Delia.

"Honey, this is for your mother. Once we get this, the worst is over. We can take it to Sanaa and enjoy the rest of our time here."

"Okay. But still, hurry."

* * *


Delia and Cordell finished picking the flame fruit and left the Pyramid of the Burning Sands in one piece. One of the few that entered and exited alive and unharmed.  They made their way to Sanaa Madouli's home to deliver the flame fruit.

"Good day," said Cordell, "I trust you have spoken with Uum Moussa and know that she sent us for the flame fruit."

"Yes...do you have a question?"

"No - no. We have it - the flame fruit that is. She told us to give it to you and return in three days to retrieve the Dragon's Blood."


"You made it out alive? Not many do you know. You must be very special. Yes, give me the fruit. Meet me here in 3 days and I will have what you need."

"Thank you. How can I repay you?"

"No need. Uum spoke highly of you. She likes you. She doesn't know many - uh- genies and none that she likes. Maybe one day you will be able to return a favor."

Cordell laughed, "So she told you? Well, we do have a reputation. A favor for a favor. Seems I am now indebted to you. Curious."

"Not so much," said Sanaa as she smiled. "Go now. I have work to do."

* * * 

Delia stood outside the limo waiting for Cordell to gather the bags from the back. Something was wrong. "Cordell! The door, it's open. I know we locked it when we left! Hurry, come quick!"

Delia was right. Inside the house, one of the people from the Marketplace had broken into their Villa.

She slunk down the hallway towards the bathroom.

She began to fill up a pillow case with Delia's jewelry. Then she headed for the kitchen.




Cordell and Delia caught her just as she began to take the radio and put it with the Jewels. "Thief! Drop it!" then he turned to Delia and told her to call the police.


Delia grabbed her cell and whispered into the phone so the lady wouldn't hear her. "Hurry, my husband is chasing her outside!"

Cordell tried to catch her. Fortunately she dropped her pillow case with all the stolen items in it so they didn't lose anything. Cordell gathered up their things as Delia came outside to see what was going on after she hung up the phone.


Cordell grabbed Delia into a hug to comfort her. "It's okay love, she's gone. But she dropped..." Cordell stopped mid sentence as he saw what he thought was a ghost watching them. "Delia...what...what is that? Is it a ghost?"


The apparition floated a little closer. Delia smiled. "Are you trying to distract me? A ghost? Cordell, really it's daytime. They usually only come out at night. Are you okay?"

"I think so, turn around slowly. You can see ghosts. Please - look."


Delia turned to look and sure enough, she saw the purple apparition. "She seems to be leaving. I wonder if this was her house. Poor thing."

"How...how did I see her? I have never seen a ghost before. Does this mean I am going to start seeing all of your ghosts?"

Delia smiled and whispered, "Genie, you have been hanging around me too long. Maybe you will see them. Does that bother you?" The couple continued to watch the purple lady as she disintegrated in a purple fog. 

After she was gone Cordell replied, "They won't like me. I have you now."

Delia laughed. "Yes, you do. This was definitely the strangest day of all so far. I hope it remains so. I don't think I can take anything more until we get home and do the strangest thing of all. Let's get something to eat and go to bed - genie."

"Good idea, pretty lady," said Cordell as he and Delia walked back into their Villa arm in arm. 





No comments:

Post a Comment