Monday, December 19, 2016

Chapter 165 - Extermination?



“Hi fiance!” said Angie playfully as she hugged Bobby when he arrived at her home.

“Hi babe! I can’t wait until you say ‘Hi husband!’” he laughed and hugged her tighter.

“Well, almost husband, do you want to play house with me tomorrow night?”

“Ohhh - that sounds like my kind of fun!”

“Bobby! You have a one track mind. No. My Dad called and asked if I would babysit for my sister and brother - well not that Stone needs a sitter, but they are going to spend the night at Jewel’s.”

“And they need you there why?”

“Jewel and Donnovan are going to my parent’s house, explained Angie, "They are doing some sort of a ‘ritual’ to rid the home of negative energy. So two teenagers a eight-year-old and a toddler, not a good combination for being alone overnight. I meant to tell you before but, well, you proposed and all...and well, I had other things on my mind.”

“Is this some sort of ‘genie’ thing? Are we going to have to do that too?”

“I don’t really know, but I will certainly ask. Why, does it bother you?”

“No, of course not, it's just new for me. So, about playing house - Angie, I am all in! Any excuse to spend the evening with you.”

“Thanks Bobby. Having you there will make it so much more pleasant.”

* * *


Delia and Cordell sat down for breakfast. In two days their lives would change forever but for now Delia had news to share with her husband. “Angie called this morning,” she said with a smile, “she asked for you but you were still sleeping. She was so excited she actually told me her news.”

“Oh, so maybe the separation from us was what she needed. She seems to be forgiving us.”

“You mean me,” said Delia sadly remembering how strained their relationship was when Angie moved out.

“No - ‘Ours’ - remember,” said Cordell softly. Then with more enthusiasm he asked, “So, what was her news? Did she get a promotion? What?” 

Beaming, Delia replied, “Bobby proposed to her last night and she said yes! They are getting married! I was so worried about her Cordell. Bobby will be so good for her. Don’t you think?”

Cordell frowned. “I guess you didn’t discuss the obvious, whether she has shared our ‘special family’ and most importantly about her own abilities. Bobby is human.”

“No,” sighed Delia, a little deflated, “We didn’t get into that, but she will be here tomorrow to pick up Mira and Stone and take them to Jewel’s house. She said Bobby would be coming to help her out and frankly I am glad that she won’t be alone with the four of them. And that reminds me. I wanted to ask you about the magic lamp. Can our children be...” Delia stopped mid-sentence when she suddenly noticed Mira standing there listening, pancakes in hand and said instead, “morning Mira sweetheart.” 

“I don’t want to go to Jewel’s house! I want to stay here with you Mommy!” whined Mira tears beginning to form in her blue eyes. Obviously the strained relationship Delia had with Mira before they went to Egypt and her clinginess upon their return was due to insecurity about their relationship which has now caused Mira to have a bit of separation anxiety.

Cordell spoke up, “Honey, why don’t you eat your pancakes then get dressed. You aren’t going until tomorrow. When you get home from school this afternoon, we will talk more about this.”

* * *


Mira joined Delia and Cordell on the patio when she got home from school. “Mira, the reason you and Stone have to go to Jewel’s for the night is because we are going to be exterminating the house and it could make you sick,” lied Delia. She hated lying to her, but she just was too young to understand.

“Won’t it make you and Mommy sick too?”

“No, we are grown ups. You and Stone are not. Angie and Bobby are going to pick you up tomorrow after school and take you to Jewel’s house. Jewel and Donnovan are going to come here to help us with the extermination.” 

As Delia discussed the 'extermination' with Mira, Cordell thought to himself, 'I hope it is an extermination - of all the ghosts of Delia’s past as well as her meddling family.'

“But Stone is big, he could help me not get sick,” reasoned Mira.

“Stone is going with you. You can help with baby Ethan and I will bet Cheyenne has some cool dress up costumes and video games that you two and Angie can play together. You will have fun. You haven’t seen Angie in a few weeks and she is bringing Bobby. So Stone and Bobby can do boy stuff while you and your sister and cousin can do girl stuff. Cool?”

Mira looked dejected, “Okay Mommy,” then she perked up and looked at Cordell, “Can I get a new backpack?”

Cordell laughed, “Sure Mira, we will get one before you go. Pink I assume?”

“Yippie!" exclaimed Mira as she clapped her hands. "I will show you the exact one online!”

Cordell and Mira got up to find the special backpack online. As they were walking inside, they saw Stone talking to a girl that had come home from school with him. He seemed very interested in what she was saying. Cordell asked Mira if she knew her. “No! But I don’t like her," she replied with a more than a little jealousy. Mira definitely had some relationship issues to deal with. Cordell, however, was wondering about Stone and just how long he had been drooling over this girl. Now he felt even better that Angie and Bobby were going to be staying with them at Jewel’s.

* * *

Newt and Niall arrived in Lucky Palms late the previous evening and went straight to the Shinn’s rent house where Dee was staying.

 “Good morning darling,” said Niall.

“Morning,” replied Dee suppressing a yawn.

Niall laughed, “What’s the matter, didn’t get enough sleep last night?”

“Ha! Well, at least I know you missed me.”


Newt was already up and dressed waiting on Niall and Dee when his cell phone rang. Looking at the caller ID before answering he knew it was his daughter. “Good morning Delia!” he said exuberantly.

“Hi Newt, I guess I can assume you and Niall are already in Lucky Palms.” said Delia with a laugh.

“Yes, we made it in late last night.”

“Perfect! Why don’t you stop by after you get dressed and we can discuss the process for tomorrow before Stone and Mira get home from school.”
“We will be there in 30 minutes.”

* * * 

Once they arrived and everyone reacquainted, Delia asked her guests to join them in the living room. This had become their seating of choice for all conversations over the years, both good and bad. 


Delia began, “I’m sure Dee has already told you that while in Egypt, Cordell and I were able to attain the incense that Donnovan requested. He assures us this will help with the ritual.” Then she looked at Cordell, “We have all agreed that I will perform the binding spell even though I am not a witch. I am the one Adele's spirit will likely be most receptive to since I am her daughter and we lived together for 17 years until the day she passed. The rest of you will form a circle around me and repeat the chant that Donnovan will tell us tomorrow. He assures me it is simple to learn...”

Cordell interrupted his wife, “But I am telling you now, if I suspect ANYTHING is going wrong, I will stop the ritual.”

Niall jumped up. “Now wait a minute Cordell. Should YOU even BE in the room. It feels like you have too much negative energy to make this work!”

Cordell gritted his teeth before speaking in a low growl, “Just try and keep me out Niall Thorn and you will find out why genies and fairies don’t get along!”

“Stop it! Both of you!” yelled Dee before things could get worse, “Of course Cordell will be in there. He would never allow Delia to this without him. She is making a huge sacrifice. And in case you forgot - Niall AND Newt - Cordell is the one that brought us back together.

“Thanks Dee," said Delia and then addressed her grandfather, "Now sit down Niall. We are all stressed. The only other thing I wanted to say is that I will be preparing the Ambrosia that will help Adele make the final transition from the spirit world to our world. She will be elderly when she transitions and human. I have the youth potion already prepared. She will be able to drink it to become a young woman again, the same as I have all of these years."

“She won’t be a fairy?” asked Dee incredulously.

“No, but we have a couple of choices here. Niall can restore her wings or I can ‘cure’ her. Then she will be - in body - very much the young woman that she was the last time you saw her. However, her life and afterlife experiences may have made her a very different person.”

“I don’t care,” said Newt who had been very quiet during the whole exchange being the only human in the room, well, except his daughter who seemed anything but human to him. “I love her and already love her more because of the sacrifices she made for you Delia.”

“This is all well and good, assuming this goes okay,” said Cordell and when Niall started growling again he said, “and get your panties out of a wad old man!”

Everyone did their best not to laugh. No one ever spoke to Niall Thorn like that!

Niall stood up again, “Let’s go Dee. I don’t need to sit here and listen to this, this - disrespect.”

Delia reminded them, “Be here tomorrow by 4:00 and bring your ritual garb.”

“We really have to wear those white clothes?” asked Niall, then when he saw the look on Cordell’s face he acquiesced, “Okay fine. We will see you tomorrow.”

“I think I will stay here tonight if it’s okay with you two,” said Newt, “I haven’t seen the kids and Delia in awhile. I would like to spend a little time with them.”

Go to Chapter 166

Go Back to Chapter 164

No comments:

Post a Comment