Thursday, September 29, 2016

Chapter 154 - Ours

Delia tried to find the words to help Cordell understand why she had to perform the ritual. Because I can. It was as simple as that she thought. “Cordell, I just found my family and have a chance to get my mother back. My family can be complete. I can have both a father and a mother. I don't think you have anything to say about it. This is my decision.”

Cordell was furious. They were going in circles. “So me and our seven children and grandchildren are not enough family for you? We mean so little you would risk death to bring back your mother? NO Delia! Your grandmother can do it. She broke this, let her risk her life to fix it. This isn't your wrong to right or your life to risk!”

Delia leaned into his face, “That is a death sentence for her and you know it! How could you ask me to do that? If you loved me, you would understand. You just love the idea of me - this life. This was just a little fantasy you played out so I would release you from that damned lamp. Have you used mind control on me all this time?”

Cordell knew Delia was being irrational but her words still stung. “We had this conversation when I revealed all of my powers to you. I have never used mind control on you or my family. Yes, I wanted to build a life and have a family. I went so long without companionship or love in my life that I became mean and vindictive. That is why Genies are feared amongst other occults. We can control others minds and make them do things for our entertainment.

When you wished for love I thought it would be fitting to hook you up with someone that wouldn't really love you or want you. I didn't know anything about you. Fairies are so damned secretive, but I did know Troy was a witch. He was supposed to marry a witch. And you would screw with him not only because you were human but because he could never really want you.

That is how we grant wishes. Mind control. I made him want you when he touched you. I made him say some of the things he said to woo you. And I made him want to make love to you. But when he wasn't touching you he was repulsed by you. He was a witch so he figured it out. He knew it was some kind of magic that was causing what happened. He thought it was you. He ran and hid. Jewel wasn't part of it. But I revelled in the misery I was causing by what I felt like was a selfish wish. I wanted to punish both of you. Him for having love and you for begging for it. Is that what you wanted to hear? Is that who you think I still am?"

Delia couldn't speak so he continued. "Well I am not. Delia, once you freed me and I was no longer bound to the lamp my eyes were opened. When I could touch you and feel the pain I caused and saw how terribly hurt and alone you were...all I could think about was fixing it. Delia I have been living every day of my life to make up for that pain. I fell in love with you that first day. And Jewel, when I held her in my arms I fell in love again. Troy should never have kidnapped her. He caused that himself. I had nothing to do with it. Delia, I can't lose you. It's just that simple. You are my life. Without you in my life, I have no life.”

Those last four words were like sandpaper on her already frayed nerves. Delia jumped up, totally incensed. “Wrong! Newt said exactly the the same thing. How is it suddenly that I am responsible for everyone’s well being? How is that fair?  I am not what defines your life. You must do that. Without me, you would survive. You lived for 1,000 years without me and you would live another 1,000 if I cease to exist. How can I even breathe under the burdens you want to impose on me. I have survived after countless losses. Everyone needs to stop saying that I am what defines them. I am NOT!”

Cordell stood up too. It seemed they were at an impasse. “I am being repaid for all the hurt I caused. How fitting a punishment. You don't need me Delia. I love you and will always love you but I can't stay here and watch you self-destruct. You are pushing me away and I don't understand why. Perhaps you have simply moved on to the next big adventure in your life and I have no part in it. Well, you have a little piece of me memorialized in your “parlor” along with the rest and maybe in another 100 or so years when the next man stumbles into your life you can tell him about the Genie you released from the magic lamp. Enjoy the rest of your life pretty lady.”

Delia watched and listened in horror at Cordell's words. Could he be right? She was pushing him away. But why? She couldn't move. But when he turned and started to walk out she knew she couldn't let him leave. She ran over to him and grabbed him, “Genie, don't go.” She managed to squeak out. “I love you too. I am afraid.”

Cordell's heart began to race. He turned and put his hand on her shoulder and looked her in the eye. “Afraid? You?”

Delia swallowed the lump in her throat before speaking. “Yes, afraid of losing you. I have loved and lost so many times, as you so eloquently pointed out, and none of that is your fault. Even Troy. I asked for that, but look, my wish did come true. We found each other. You are right. I think I was preparing myself to lose you and maybe for you to lose me too. I don't know. All I know is when I see you walking out I can't breathe anymore. And in all of this, I seem to have forgotten that it was you who found my family in the first place. And look how I repay you. By shutting you out. I need, no, not need, I want you in my life. Forever.”

Cordell wanted nothing more than to kiss her but he held back. “Then, pretty lady, let me help. Let me be a part of the discussion. This is our decision. Not yours. Not mine. Ours.”

“Yes, Ours,” said Delia.



 As soon as she uttered the words Cordell began to kiss her. “I have missed you. Missed this,” he mumbled as their clothes began to form a pile in the floor.

“Me too," said Delia as she melted into her husband's arms.

Cordell scooped her up and carried her to the bed and laid her down gently.



The couple slowly and sweetly reaffirmed their love to one another.

 It was as if this were the first time and neither of them wanted the moment to end.

He and Delia had always had a healthy sex life, but this was different. They weren't just satisfying lust, they were giving themselves fully and completely to one another. Delia lay sleeping after their lovemaking while Cordell thought about how close he had come to walking out. Never again he thought as he kissed his wife one more time.  


Cordell turned out the lights before finally surrendering to sleep keeping his pretty lady pulled as close to him as he could.

Go to Chapter 155

Go Back to Chapter 153 


No comments:

Post a Comment