Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Chapter 153 - Help Me Understand

Almost three months had passed since Delia’s father and grandmother went back to Moonlight Falls. Angie had moved out leaving just the four of them, Delia, Cordell, Stone and Mira living in the large house. Delia was constantly on edge because Jewel's baby was due any day. In spite of what Delia told Newt about trying to repair her relationship with Cordell, every conversation still turned into an argument with Cordell and Delia still at odds about binding Adele's ghost.

Stone and Mira just left to meet Cheyenne at the park to give her mother a break. Delia was alone in the house with Cordell but he was purposely avoiding her. With everyone gone, the house that had always been so full of life and love was eerily quiet. In the quietness, the pull of the basement was overwhelming and Delia found herself heading into her hidden room.

Delia stood in the doorway and tried to see the room through the eyes of the other three people that had been in here just a few months ago. As she looked around the room she tried to imagine what Dee would have thought and smiled. She was fascinated and curious, even proud. Then she thought of Newt. He was heartbroken to see what her life had been and that he was not a part of it. She knew she would have to mend his broken heart.

Delia ventured over to the Philosopher's Stone and gingerly reached down to touch it. She imagined herself invoking the incantations that would bind her mother's ghost so they would be able to talk to her. A chill ran through her as if her mother was standing there now. She looked around expecting to see her ghost, but no one was there. This felt right. It could work. She had an idea but would need to run it by Dee and Jewel.

Then she walked over to her mother’s urn and began to talk to her. She had never done that in all the years since she passed. “Mom, I wished you had told me about yourself before you died. I think you tried in your own way but I was too young and blind to see. You were so strong and brave. I met my Father and grandparents. Imagine my surprise after so many years. Mother, he loves you so much but you know that. I see why you were so sad. My husband helped to find….wait....”

Delia suddenly stopped short thinking about Cordell. She looked around the room again. She knew Cordell hated this room and suddenly it dawned on her why. She had always thought it was the magic. She was so foolish. If Cordell had a room full of dead lovers and pictures of children from his past, how would she feel? She always wondered why he seemed jealous of something that happened before she ever knew him, but the ghosts of her past were alive in this room. That was why he didn't want her to revive her mother. He was afraid if she did she would revive her past husbands. Selfish bastard. Delia suddenly felt like she couldn't breathe and had to leave that room. The piano would calm her.

She headed for the music room where Vladimir’s red piano was calling to her, but as she approached, she saw Cordell through the window pouring a glass of wine for himself. All alone. And she stopped. For a split second she wanted to go to him and reassure him, but then she remembered how controlling he was being.
Before she could decide whether to go in or leave and go to the music studio instead, he saw her watching him. The hope in his eyes was hard to see.  But he only hoped she had decided to give in to his demands. Not happening Genie. He didn't care about Newt or her grandparents, only about his own desires.

Delia couldn't do another fight so she turned to go but not before he called her to join him. That look on his face made it hard for her to turn around so she took a deep breath and walked in.

"Delia. It's so quiet. Like a morgue with everyone gone. Why don't you join me for a glass of wine? Please?"

"Sure. I could use a drink."

Cordell handed her a glass. "Delia, you know we need to talk. Jewel's baby is due any day. Before you know it Newt and your grandparents will be expecting to come back and do the rituals. Delia, I don't know how we are going to come to terms on this. I can't risk losing you or Jewel. It doesn't seem right."

Delia took a gulp instead of a sip before she attempted to answer her husband's question. "Look Cordell. I AM going to do this and I don't think Jewel is going to back off either. We have talked about it. And guess what Cordell...HER husband supports her decision!"

Now it was Cordell's turn to force down a huge drink of wine. "When did you talk to Jewel? You didn't tell me that. Delia, we have to talk this out. I don't want to fight with you anymore. God, I thought you came looking for me. Let me guess, you came in here to play HIS piano."

"Yes, I came to play. It relaxes me and helps me think. I am always upset. I feel like I am doing this on my own. Why can't you just support me?" asked Delia, "You only think about yourself. What about Newt and my mother's parents. They are hurting. They want things to be right and together, Jewel and I can do this."

"I can't do this Delia. I can't fight with you anymore. I'm leaving. I will move into the rental house until I can find my own place."



When Cordell turned to walk away, Delia got a sick feeling in the pit of her stomach and reached out to Cordell to stop him. "No. Cordell. No. Please. Don't leave me."

Cordell stopped for just a minute and looked at her over his shoulder. "Why Delia. Why do you want me to stay. You have your ghosts to keep you company. You don't need me." He pulled out of her grasp and continued to walk.

Delia felt like she just got hit by a truck. Cordell was really walking out on her and the kids. NO!!!! she thought. Not again. She needed him. She loved him and he loved her and their children. How could he just leave. Was she THAT bad?

Delia ran to catch up with Cordell before he could leave the room. If he left the room it would be too late. She just knew it.

"Cordell, please...." pleaded Delia, "Don't do this. I need you. Stone and Mira need you. It would break their hearts if you left. Stay. Please."

Cordell stopped walking. "Then you will talk this through with me Delia. Now. Let's go upstairs in case the kids get back and talk."

"Okay, just please don't leave me," said Delia softly.



Carrying their drinks they headed upstairs without another word.

They sat down in the bedroom. Cordell on the couch and Delia in the chair. She felt manipulated and sat with her legs crossed not looking at him. Finally, he broke the silence. "Delia, this isn't talking. This is called sitting," said Cordell.

Delia just rolled her eyes so Cordell got up and waved her off, "I thought you wanted to talk Delia! If this is the best you can do then I should go."

Delia jumped up. "No Cordell! Sit back down, please. We can talk. I promise. It's just hard."

"Fine, but this is it," threatened Cordell and sat back down.



"What do you want to know," asked Delia when they had both sat back down.

"I need to understand why you think you have to save everyone. What about us Delia? Can you try to save us because I think I am the only one doing that."

Delia was surprised by what he Cordell had just told her. She sat back. "Cordell, I have been looking for a place to belong my whole life. When I was growing up, well you know, it was just me and my mother. I had no family and she was so frail and mysterious. I had to take care of her when she fell ill and I was only 17. I got married as soon as I graduated. And God, Cordell, you know the rest of the story. My life was full of running scared. And now..."

Cordell looked at the ground. "I know you had a lot of ups of ups and downs Delia. But baby, I had no ups until you came into my life. I had 1,000 years of nothingness. I am terrified of losing the only good thing I have ever had. Surely you can understand that."

Delia moved next to Cordell at his words. He was right. How could she not see that. She was so blinded by finally having a sense of who she was that she pushed away Angie. Sweet Angie had turned bitter towards her. "Cordell," she said softly, "How do we get back? I am so sorry, but how do I reconcile what I have just discovered about myself and what I need to do with what you just told me? I feel pulled in two directions."

"Delia, I don't even know what needs to happen to bring back Adele. We haven't even talked about it other than to say it could kill you or Jewel. That simply isn't acceptable. How can you let that be okay? Stone and Mira need you. I need you. Hell, your grandparents and Father needs you. Why is it okay to risk your life. Help me understand."

Go to Chapter 154

Go Back to Chapter 152




No comments:

Post a Comment