Sunday, September 25, 2016

Chapter 152 - One Year

Delia was furious with Cordell and wanted to give him a piece of her mind. How dare he tell her father - yes, she was beginning to think of Newt as her father - that Angie refused her gift. As soon as the bookcase door swung closed, she glared at Cordell and demanded, "Make us some coffee Cordell. I have a few things I need to say!"

Cordell obediently sat about making coffee thinking he was in trouble for not telling her about Angie, But it was HER fault he thought as the coffee began to drip, I tried. She wouldn't even let me talk

Delia was silent while Cordell made the coffee and finally brought each of them a mug. They both took a drink to calm their nerves. 

Delia began, "How DARE you tell my father that Angie threw my graduation gift back in my face! I --"

"I didn't ---"

"Shut up Cordell. Don't you understand how bad that hurt me and to tell him something like that to make him think my own children hate me? I was humiliated!"

"Delia, I don't even know how to respond to that. I did NOT tell him that," said Cordell confused, "He probably just saw the whole thing."

"Don't start lying to me on top of everything else!" spat out Delia, "He was already headed to the car with Dee, Stone and Mira. You and I were the only ones there. And anyway, he said you told him about Angie."

"Shit...Delia, I may be a lot of things, but I am not a liar. What I told him about Angie is what I tried to tell you yesterday. She is moving out. I am sorry, I didn't tell him you didn't know."

Delia nearly choked on her coffee. "What? She's moving out? Why in the hell didn't you tell me?"

"Dammit Delia! Stop this. You know I came to find you and you threw me out!"

Delia shook her finger at Cordell and began to lecture him, "Then why didn't you just tell me anyway? Don't you EVER keep something like that from me again! Newt - my father - must have thought I was an insensitive fool. I blew off the fact that she was moving out.  I thought he was talking about the gift." 

Cordell just let her talk. There was nothing he could say to make it better. She knew it was her fault and nothing he could say would make it any easier. She needed to come to that conclusion herself. 

Cordell took a drink of his coffee while Delia went off on her tirade. "And one more thing, Genie," said Delia using her pet name for him as an insult, "I am going to sleep with Mira tonight. We will finish this in the morning. Good night!" 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

While Delia and Cordell were discussing Angie, in the other room Newt and Dee began to read Adele's journal. After the first few pages, Newt and Dee were very emotional. Dee couldn't do this with her son-in-law. It was too hard. She needed to leave and let him be alone with his emotions and she needed to get hers under control. 

"Newt," said Dee interrupting his reading.

"What?" he asked looking up at his Mother-in-law. 

"I feel like the rest of this journal is for your eyes only. You are the one who will be building a life with my daughter when we bring her back to this world. You are the one that will need to help her adjust and knowing what she went through will help you do that. Newt, I love you as if you were my own son. You truly love my daughter and it is obvious just from the first few pages that she loves you just as deeply and never stopped. I will see you in the morning." Then Dee turned and walked out.

After Dee left, Newt continued to read Adele's words. The beginning was so sad. Then Delia was born and her writing was joyful with some sadness throughout when she would mention his absence in her life. 

He couldn't stop reading. It made him feel closer to her. His adrenaline had kicked in and he had no concept of the time. He just kept on reading. 

Finally, it got unbearable as Adele began to become ill. He couldn't read anymore and turned off the old PC. He sat there for a few moments to pull himself together.


Newt began to think about the time when they would once again be together. He scooted the chair and looked at their pictures from so long ago. His beautiful Adele. He wanted to have her now. He knew her soul was in this room. He could feel her. 

Newt got up and walked over to where her Urn was sitting on a shelf, over the little fairy house that she had longed to be able to inhabit once again before she died. He began to talk to his deceased wife. "Adele, my love, I can't believe I finally found you. I would give anything if I had been there with you when our daughter was born. You were brave and strong and set such a good example for her. She is beautiful. She has my eyes and your blonde hair and more importantly, your strength. Together the two of us and her beautiful daughter - who has MY hair - will bring you to me. I love you forever and always."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


The next morning Delia fixed crepes for Newt and Dee.  They were leaving today for Moonlight Falls. Everyone sat down to eat except for Newt. Angie spoke up, "Grandma Dee, where is Newt?" 

"I guess he is still sleeping. I left him...uh...reading when I left to go to bed," said Dee.

"Dee, he wasn't with you?" asked Delia.

"No, I figured he slept here." 


Angie looked at everyone. She knew they were hiding something from her. 

"I can't wait to get into my new house! This place is too weird!"

"Angie!" cautioned Delia then said, "Please excuse me. I will go downstairs and look for Newt. He is probably taking a...uh...shower."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------



Delia hurriedly went down to her secret room. Sure enough Newt was still in there. 

"Newt! Why are you still here. Everyone is worried about you. Angie is downstairs and it is so awkward."

"I'm sorry Delia. I had no idea it was already morning," replied Newt.

"It's okay. Are you all right?"





"Yes, I am, pretty tired though. Thank you for letting me read the journal." Newt paused for a minute before continuing and began to beg, "Delia....Do you think you can do this now? I don't think I can wait until Jewel's baby is born.You are so strong. I know you can perform the ritual. Adele is so close. I can feel her but not touch her. I need to touch her Delia."

"Newt, either I or Jewel will perform the ritual. But not now. We need time to prepare."

"And besides, I need to try and repair my relationship with Cordell and the rest of our family. This whole situation is putting a serious strain on them and it's mostly my fault. Angie is moving out and Stone and Mira, well they need me too Newt. I need to make time for them. Please try to understand."

"I know, but Delia --"






"No. Jewel, she also needs to have time to settle in with her children and not be stressed over everything she just learned about her father. She and Donnovan need to understand what they are dealing with. We both need to do more research and practice before we decide which one of us is the right one to do this. But I promise you, one of us will do this. So, Newt, go back with Dee and Niall and start making a life for yourself. Have something to give to Adele when she joins you once again. I know you were hoping this would happen sooner, but we need a year Newt. Please, give us a year and take this time to make a home for my mother, your wife. Otherwise you will go crazy. She gave up everything for me. I fully intend to repay that sacrifice. You will have her back. One year Newt."

"Delia, once again, I am the child in this relationship. I know I am being impatient. You are right. I will wait. One year. God, it seems like an eternity, but when I read her journal, it's only a minute in time. Thank you sweetheart. When I look at you and this room and all you have been through, I feel undeserving to be called your father."

"Enough. Everyone is having breakfast. You must be starved. Come now and join your family."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Dee, how are you and Newt getting to the airport. Do you need a lift?" asked Delia once she and Newt got back to the table.

"We can take a taxi," said Dee.

"Why don't you leave a little early and let Angie take you by her new house. I am sure she would love to show you.  Right Angie?"

Angie almost chocked on her breakfast. What was her mother up to?

"Sure mom. What time do we need to leave?"


No comments:

Post a Comment