Thursday, September 22, 2016

Chapter 150 - Angie

Delia avoided Cordell for the next few weeks, pouring herself into her band, playing the piano to soothe herself or hiding out in her secret room reading and rereading spells. Their estrangement began to affect the entire household.

Whenever they were in the same room together they hardly spoke and if they did it usually escalated into an argument.  

Even Stone began to take care of Mira and help her with things that his parents usually did. She was afraid to ask her parents for help. What was once a very happy and loving environment had become toxic.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Angie had hoped her graduation would bring some normalcy back to their family and while her parents did come along with Stone, Mira, her grandfather and great-grandmother, the hostility between everyone was palpable. Angie hated that they pretended for her benefit. She didn't want a pretend family. She never felt like she belonged and this made it worse.

After the ceremony had ended and everyone was outside congratulating her, Delia walked over and attempted to hand a gift to her daughter saying, “Angie,here is something for you. I am very proud of you.”


Angie was incensed. Her mother had not been a significant part of her life for almost the entirety of it. Her rock band took up an inordinate amount of her time and little time she had left used to be spent with her father. Now they couldn't even be in the same room together.

Angie shoved the gift back into her mother's hands, “If you are proud of me, then give Daddy this gift!" then she nodded her head towards Cordell, "He is the one that stood by me all those years when Corrie made me feel like nothing. You haven't been a significant part of my life for years, or Stone's or Mira's. You can't just give me a gift and think everything is good. No thank you!”


Delia stormed off speechless and embarrassed. Cordell waited until his wife had left and pulled Angie into into a hug. “Are you okay?” he asked.


“I meant every word Daddy. I don't even feel like I know my mother anymore. I probably should go apologize.”  


“Not now, let's just go home and let everyone calm down. Then maybe you two can talk in private. I know your mother is going through a lot right now and never intended to ignore you.”


“Why Daddy? Why do you defend her?”


The answer was simple. He loved her. But that didn't excuse her behavior. He took a deep breath to calm himself, “Not now, Angie," he said, "Please. Let's just go home.”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Angie was thrilled that she had graduated and could finally move out and be on her own away from whatever hell was going on at home. She knew her parents would never tell her the truth. The good thing was, the sports team where she had been working part time during school offered her a full time position once she graduated. Now she just needed to find a place she could afford on the barely above entry level salary. Her boyfriend had asked her to move in with him but she wasn't ready for that level of commitment. She needed to be on her own first and definitely not in the rental house where she would have to deal with her parents issues.
The phone rang.  It was the real estate agent that was helping Angie hunt down an apartment. “Hello,” said Angie apprehensively.


“Hi!” said the voice in the other end of the line, “This is Dan Harmon. I have some great news!”


“You found an apartment in my price range?” She said hopefully.


“Better! There is a small 1 bedroom condo on the lake that would be perfect. It just came on the market. Would you like to see it. It won't last long.”


“Have you seen it? Is it in good shape and is it within my budget?”


“Yes, it’s at the high end but not over budget and it's in excellent condition. Much more private than an apartment and right on the water.”


“Then I will take it!  When can I sign the lease?”


“Excellent!  I will write it up and send it over so they can take it off the market. Can you meet me tonight at the house and we can make it official!”  


“Yes!  Text me the address and time and I will be there.”


Angie was on cloud nine. She was going to be on her own and out of this depressing house. Now she just had to tell her parents, well her father, her mother disappeared again evidently not wanting to talk to anyone.

Angie decided to work out for a few minutes to calm her nerves. After her workout, she couldn't put it off any longer. Dan would be waiting for her at the property in an hour to sign the lease. She went in search of her father and found him in the kitchen cleaning up the dishes. “Daddy, can we talk?” She asked as she came in.


Cordell got a knot I his stomach at her words. He hated those three words. He turned to his daughter, “What’s wrong Angie?”


“Nothing is wrong Daddy, relax. You know I have a job with the sports team. Now that I have graduated, they have taken me on full time.”


“That’s wonderful!” said a relieved Cordell.


“That’s not all Daddy. Now that I have a full time job, I am going to move out. I already found a small efficiency on the docks. It's awesome and affordable.”


Cordell's face fell. “Angie...you can move into the rental as soon as Newt and Dee go back.  They are leaving this weekend and won't be back until after Jewel’s baby is born. They can stay with us when they return - or a hotel.”


“No Daddy. I need to be completely on my own.  I have depended on you for so long and been teased by Corrie so much. I just need to prove to myself I can do this. And frankly, Daddy, I can't be here anymore. I don't know what's going on between you and Mom, but it is making the rest of us miserable. Stone has noticed and even Mira seems moodier.”


Cordell paled. The last thing he wanted to do was drive away his kids or make them uncomfortable. “My sweet Angie. I am so sorry our disagreement has affected you. I tried to....”


“Yes. I know you try to pretend nothing is wrong, but it isn't the same…” Angie felt herself blush as she continued, “I mean, you and Mom couldn’t keep your hands off each other, and now you barely talk or you are arguing. Yes, we noticed.”


“We are just having a disagreement. I can't really say more than that. Just know that we both love you very much.”


Angie got quiet and whispered not really wanting to know the answer, “Daddy, are you going to, uh, separate?”


“No! Don't even think that. I love your Mother and couldn't imagine a life without her.”


Angie was indignant and huffed, “Well, the way you two are acting, you could have fooled me.”


Cordell was taken aback. His little girl was right. He pulled his daughter to him, “Angie, you are wise beyond your years. You are so right. I guess it's time for compromise.” Cordell kissed her on the forehead and mumbled, “How did you grow so fast? I love you. You’re really moving out aren't you?”


Angie was so choked up all she could do was shake her head up and down and whisper “mm huh”.  Then she turned to run off and get ready to go see her new home but at the last minute turned around and hugged her father. "I love you Daddy. I love mother too, but..."

"It's okay. I will tell her."


Angie opened his eyes. This couldn't go on. He needed to fix this now.  It has been too long and Angie was leaving because of it. Or at least not on good terms with her mother. He set off to find his wife. He knew she would either be in her secret room or playing the piano. He hoped she was at the piano.


When Cordell found the music room empty he got a knot in his stomach. It would have been easier not to have to enter that room. He hated that room with all of Delia's past lovers and children. He knew she still had feelings for the vampire the way she played his piano all the time and seeing that picture made him sick to his stomach. He steeled himself and went downstairs making sure Stone and Mira were already asleep.  

Cordell opened the secret door and sure enough Delia was obsessing over her spell book.

She was so wrapped up in what she was doing she didn't even hear him walk in. He took a deep breath and called out to her, “Delia, can you spare a minute to talk?”


Delia wheeled around angry at being interrupted, “Not now Cordell! Can't you see I am in the middle of something.”


Cordell looked at his feet, “Delia," he pleaded, "This is important!”


“You think THIS isn't? No, no, no! My daughter’s life may depend on it or do you not care since she isn't your daughter too?”

“Dammit Delia, you know better than that! We need to talk."

"NOT NOW!" shouted Delia.

"Fine," conceded Cordell, "In the morning you WILL make time for me, for us!”


Delia pointed her finger at him enraged, “I am not one of your puppets Cordell. You cannot order me to do anything! And besides, Dee and Newt are coming over in the morning to say goodbye before they leave on Saturday. Try to be civil if you can. Now leave me so I can focus and try to save my grandmother's and my daughter's lives.”

Cordell turned and said quietly, "I love you," as he walked away.

Delia ignored him and turned to her spell books. If you really loved me, you wouldn't try to make my grandmother do this! thought Delia in a rage.

Cordell didn't expect Delia to say anything, but he was surprised she didn't even acknowledge him. He was beginning to think that Angie was right, that Delia may want to leave him. The thought made him sick. And now her father and grandmother would be at the house in the morning. Perhaps, they would be the key to getting her to talk to him. He needed to prepare himself mentally for them. It was easy enough at Angie's graduation. They didn't have to talk much but now he figured, he was going to be as pleasant of a host as possible and maybe Delia would see he really did care. But he couldn't take much more if she kept pushing him away.



No comments:

Post a Comment