Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Chapter 149 - One Step Closer

After Delia and Cordell got home from Jewel's house she needed to calm herself. The kids were asleep and she just wasn't ready to talk to Cordell, so she went into the music room and began to play a melancholic tune. It fit her mood perfectly. She knew in her heart that she or Jewel would attempt the binding spell and Cordell and Donnovan wouldn't be happy.

While she played, she thought about her love affair with Vladimir and the times he used to play for her or himself when he was feeling down. She wasn't as accomplished of a pianist as he was, but she was trying if for no other reason than to honor his memory. She had loved him and knew that his ghost still haunted her home and she would like to think he heard her and it made him happy. She felt a little twinge of guilt at the need to do that. She was happily married to Cordell now and Vladimir had been gone for a very long time.

Then she began to think about the possibility of reviving her mother. She was sad she wouldn't be able to revive Vladimir. It was her fault he had died and a silent tear slipped down her cheek.

Suddenly she could tell she was no longer alone with her thoughts. She knew that Cordell was watching her and tried to quickly wipe the moisture from her face before he could see.

When Cordell knew Delia had seen him he spoke. "Pretty lady, it's beautiful, yet haunting. Why the sad melody?"

"It's just how I feel. It seems to just come out. Now I know why Vla- ... I mean ... it just makes me feel better."

"How about I pour us a glass of wine. I think we both could use a drink after this evenings events."

Cordell went over to the wine rack and pulled a nice bottle and poured it. He walked over to Delia and handed her a glass, "Here. This is some of the best. I figured after tonight we deserved something nice. You were thinking about your vampire weren't you?"

Delia almost choked on her wine at the mention of Vladimir. She didn't want any part of a conversation about him and snapped at her husband. "Cordell, don't! I don't want to talk about the past." She took a breath and said in a calmer tone, "I just need to stay focused on the here and now."

"Delia, that's exactly what I want! The vampire has been gone for a long time as has your mother. We have a good life now, today. Why do you want to bring back what is in the past?"

Delia could no longer reign in her anger at his words. "Cordell! Dammit! This isn't about Vladimir. But, yes, I DID love him, very much in fact and I KNOW he is gone and I KNOW it was my fault. So when I think about possibly bringing my mother back, I can't help but feel sad that I am unable to right that wrong as well."

"Wait, you are not seriously thinking about bring her back. YOU cannot do this Delia. I won't allow it!"

Delia was livid. If there was any way she could do it, she would. She just hoped she didn't lose Cordell in the process. Delia sighed and said quietly, "You don't control me Cordell. I am tired and don't want to talk about this anymore tonight." She drank the rest of the wine in her glass in one gulp, calmly set down her glass, turned around and went upstairs not really caring if Cordell followed her.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Across town, Jewel and Donnovan were having a similar discussion after everyone left. "Donnovan, I really want to explore the possibility. If you are right and this Troy is that powerful that explains a lot."

Donnovan looked away and became lost in his thoughts. He couldn't believe that Jewel's powers never manifested before they married. Maybe being intimate with another as powerful as he was what stirred something in her. He had to admit she frightened him sometimes with her strength. The combination of fairy and witch was huge and he knew they now needed to begin to teach Cheyenne to control herself. And their unborn son. Now that they knew, they could begin his training as soon as he was old enough to talk.

Jewel rested her arms over her baby bump when Donnovan didn't reply. "Donnovan! Did you hear anything I said?"

He jumped. "Sorry baby. I was thinking about your father. What did you say?"

"Well, about that. I want to explore the possibility that I can bind my grandmother's ghost so we can communicate with her and my mother can bring her back."

"Are you insane? Jewel, you are pregnant!"

"Please Donnovan. Of course not until our son is born. But we can begin to research and find out what the risks are. Just don't tell me no. Let me do this."

Donnovan reached out and pulled Jewel to him. "We will research it, but that is all I will promise."

"Donnovan, you know that you can't actually stop me if I want to do this. Right?"

Donnovan sighed. "No, I suppose not. You have always been your own person but I don't have to like it."

"I am only asking for your help and support."

Donnovan kissed his wife, "You always have me, I just may not necessarily support what you are doing but if you decide to do it, then I won't leave your side. I love you. It's just, the very thought of losing you frightens me."

"I am not foolish Donnovan. I will be careful. If there is too much risk you don't have to worry. It's not worth leaving our children motherless. Now let's go to bed and you can show me just how much you love me."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Dee and Newt were commiserating over the evenings events as well back at her granddaughter's rent house. Newt was so sad. He had made everyone argue. This wasn't the way he wanted to begin a relationship with his family. "Dee," he said, "I don't think Cordell or Donnovan are going to allow their wives to attempt to help me. They hate me."

Dee put her hand on his shoulder. "Newt, don't underestimate the Thorn women. They are strong minded and won't cave to the whims of overprotective men. Delia loves you and she loved her mother and has lived in her shadow for 200 years. She will come around - but it will take some time I'm afraid. She will wait until Jewel's baby is born to do anything. But that gives us the time we need to ensure it will be done perfectly. Later this week I want to see if we can look at Adele's journals. Now, chin up young man. You are one step closer to a reunion with your wife and me with my daughter. Let's get to bed."

Go to Chapter 150

Go Back to Chapter 148




No comments:

Post a Comment