Friday, August 12, 2016

Chapter 144 - Cordell vs Newt

Newt got up early. He sat in the garden's drinking coffee to help clear his mind. He figured he had slept enough in the last 180 years, besides all he could think about was that Dee said his daughter could bring her mother back. The possibility of having Adele back again was too much real to just let it go now. Dee didn't seem to think it would really endanger Delia, but he knew she was frightened.

He took a big drag on his coffee and thought back to Delia's words to him: "You have a life and now it is up to you to make it worthwhile instead of chasing ghosts. I am not what defines your life. Mother made a life without you and she never stopped loving you either. But she moved on."

Maybe she did move on but Adele thought I was dead. As long as there is a way to revive her, I can't let her go. Maybe..if Delia won't help, then I can do it myself. Newt got up and went inside with a plan.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

While Newt was in the garden thinking over the events of the previous day, Cordell got out of bed making sure not to wake his wife and made his way to the kitchen for some much needed coffee. He needed to figure out how to stop Delia from trying to do something so foolish as to bring her mother back from the dead. There are so few sorcerers able to perform that ritual that also have supernatural abilities that there is just no way a human could do it. They had to leave this place soon or he might lose his wife and that was NOT going to happen. He needed to get her away from Newt, Dee and Niall.

"Good morning Cordell!" said Dee happily when she saw her grandson-in-law descend the stairs into the kitchen, "I made French Toast. Please join me!"

Cordell sighed. He really wanted some time alone to think. "Of course Dee," he said trying not to let her see his discomfort. Cordell sat down with Dee and attempted to make small talk not wanting to get into anything about Adele. "We are probably going to be leaving soon. We spoke to Jewel and she really is having a hard time managing 3 kids and a teenager."

"Oh, I am sorry to hear that. I really hoped the two of you would stay a little longer. It has been so wonderful to find that Niall and I actually have family. We were selfishly wanting to get to know you."

"You know, Delia is part of a rock band. They are doing well and she can't be gone much longer. They are working on a new album and they need the lead guitarist and pianist there," explained Cordell trying to come up with as many good reasons to leave as he could. He wanted no arguments from Delia's family. He just wanted to leave. Soon.

Cordell finished his breakfast and Niall came in. Great he thought.

Niall patted Cordell on the shoulder as he approached. "Hi son! Looks like you have already finished. I was looking forward to breakfast with you so we could continue our conversation from yesterday. Where is your lovely wife?"

"Delia was still sleeping. I didn't want to wake her. Being here has stressed her and she needed the rest," he said hoping they would get the hint that they needed to leave.

"Ahh. I saw Newt heading to Dee's magic room," said Niall as he grabbed a serving of French Toast, I wonder why he is going up there?"

Cordell got a bad feeling in the pit of his stomach. The magic room he thought. What is he up to?

Dee got up and began to clear the table of dirty dishes. Cordell got up and excused himself. "I guess I will go wake Dee and let her know that she is missing out on the best French Toast this side of France," he said lightheartedly as to not arouse suspicion.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Newt had gone into Dee's magic room to look up the recipes for Ambrosia, Cures and Youth potions. He knew that Dee had the ingredients. He would try to bring back Adele himself. They would have some of her things they could use to conjure her. He just needed to go with Delia and get to the philosopher's stone. If he died. So be it! 

Delia had a similar idea. She was conflicted and wanted to read the recipes again. When she walked into Dee's magic room she was surprised to find Newt there. "Newt? What are you doing up here?"

He jumped, but quickly recovered and pointed to the spell book, "Delia, look. Here are the recipes for what I need to revive your mother."

"Newt. Stop it," said Delia softly, "you can't do this."

"I can't ask you. That was wrong."

"Newt, she's gone."

"No Delia, I can feel her again. Like it was before...before she died... before I was put to sleep."


"You will kill yourself Newt. You don't know how to create the potions. It requires...a...I don't know...talent I guess. You have never done it before. I failed lots of times before I was finally able to create a potion that worked. It took me years Newt."
"Okay then. You can create the potions needed and I will give them to her ghost."

"And how are you going to get her ghost to materialize Newt?"

"I will go use the Philosopher's stone to bind her to me."

"NO! I don't want to lose you. I just found you. You will die Newt. Don't you understand. That is ridiculous. MOVE ON!"


Newt looked at her with his blue eyes pleading for her to understand, "Delia, I have thought about it. I can feel her again. She is near. I am willing to risk my life to bring her back to me. To us."

Delia began to soften. He looked so hurt and so lost. She understood the power of those feelings. "Newt, come back to Lucky Palms with us," she offered, "Maybe we can figure out how to conjure Adele's ghost without risking your life. I can't lose my father...I just found you."




Cordell walked in while they were talking. "What on earth are you two doing up hear in this musty old room?" he asked casually while he walked over to Delia.

"I went to wake you up. Breakfast is ready. When I saw our bed was empty, I remembered Niall said Newt was up here I figured that I would find you here as well. And here you are. What were you two discussing?"

"Newt wants to come back to Lucky Palms with us. Meet the family, his grandchildren."


Cordell put his arms around his wife's neck possessively. "Really? Do you think that's such a good idea. I mean, he has been asleep for 180 years. He probably needs a little more time to recover."

Newt was afraid to say anything. He already knew that Cordell didn't like him so Delia spoke for him. "I think he has rested plenty, haven't you Newt?"

Newt just bobbed his head and looked at Cordell.

Cordell was furious but didn't want Delia to know. "Sweetheart, Dee has prepared breakfast. Your favorite, French Toast. Why don't you go down and eat. Newt and I will be there in a minute. I would like to have a word with him - alone."

Delia knew she needed to give them time so she extracted herself from her husband's embrace and went downstairs.

As soon as Delia was out of earshot, Cordell laid into Newt. "Delia told me you wanted her to try and bring Adele back. I am telling you right now that is NOT going to happen, at least not with my wife's help - your daughter! You are a sick bastard. She could be killed trying a stunt like that. Only VERY powerful supernaturals are able to perform that kind of magic. She is half-human in case you haven't noticed - Human.

Newt had had enough of Cordell. "I would NEVER ask my daughter to risk her life for me. I want to go to Lucky Palms to meet MY grandchildren. You don't deserve to be called her husband. You are a selfish controlling excuse for a man - no - not man - Genie. She deserves better! I thought you loved her when I first saw the two of you. But you have controlled her all these years. Led her to believe things that weren't true. Did you use your mind control powers on her to make her think you loved her or that she loved you?"

Cordell lost it. He wanted to kill Newt. He was messing up his life. It was fine until HE came into the picture. Cordell threw Newt against the table and rared back to punch him but stopped himself before he could follow through and instead threatened Newt through gritted teeth. "You filthy human. You have NO idea what your daughter went through for the past 180 years while you slept! I have given her a family. A family that is STILL together and loves each other. You - you have given her NOTHING. I will allow you to come with us to Lucky Palms only because it means so much to Delia. But if you dare to ask her to do any kind of magic, so help me you will go to sleep and NEVER wake up. Do you understand?" Newt nodded and Cordell released him.

Cordell tuned to go downstairs and find his wife. He really needed to hold her to calm himself.

Newt called out to him as he began to walk away. "Cordell..."

"What human?"

"Truce. I won't do anything to upset Delia. Please, I am sorry. This is just so hard."

"Damn right it is!" said Cordell as turned and walked downstairs ignoring his father-in-law.

Newt watched Cordell leave and slid down into the floor to think about the mess he was in. He never intended to make trouble for anyone but now Cordell hated him. Well, the feeling was mutual. He wasn't so fond of his daughter's choice in a mate either. But then, who was he to judge. After Cordell's outburst and the way he defended Delia, he thought perhaps he really did love her in his own twisted way. What did he really know about their relationship.

He needed to calm down. Yes, he was going to go to Lucky Palms and meet his grandchildren. But they weren't HIS children. Hell, it didn't even seem like Delia was his child. It had been hard for him to call her his daughter. It was almost like she was just someone who knew his wife. He started to cry when he thought of Adele. He could feel her. He just knew she was close.


Newt cried softly for a few minutes before he could pull himself together enough to join everyone downstairs. Maybe he was simply jealous of what Cordell and Delia and Niall and Dee had. They had each other; shared a life and love.

He finally stopped crying. That wouldn't solve anything. He needed to find out when they were leaving for Lucky Palms so he could get the ingredients for the potions from Dee. If Cordell had his way, they would leave right now and never look back. He couldn't let that happen. Adele was within his grasp. He simply couldn't let her go again.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Delia made her way downstairs and left Cordell and Newt alone to talk. She knew they were struggling with each other and hoped they were able to clear the air without her around. She had decided she was going to do whatever she could to try and resurrect her mother. It terrified her. She wanted to talk to Dee again before Cordell came down.


"Hi Dee. Looks like I missed breakfast. Cordell said you made French Toast," said Delia cheerfully.

"Hi dear. Yes, I had the pleasure of having breakfast with your handsome husband - just he and I - it was nice. Newt was in the garden and you and Niall were sleeping in. Did you sleep well?"

"Yes. I was upstairs with Newt...we were talking. Dee, I have decided I want to help as much as I can with conjuring Adele's spirit. It will give everyone closure. Newt is going to come back to Lucky Palms with us and I will give him mother's ashes."


"Oh, speak of the devil!  There is Cordell now," said Dee wanting to be sure Delia knew that he was in the room and could easily hear their conversation.

Delia lowered her voice, "I will make the potions. But Dee, Newt wants to use the philosopher's stone to conjure Adele's spirit. I can't let him do that."

"And you shouldn't! He will die for nothing. The only one that can use it is you Delia. You have to decide if it is worth it. Anyone else will die."

"How do you know this?"

"Only certain individuals of a certain bloodline that are pure of heart can use it. Delia, that person is you."


About that time Newt made his way downstairs. "Hi beautiful ladies! What are you two whispering about?"

"I just told Dee that you will be leaving with us," replied Delia.

Newt scratched his head. "I just had an idea. Dee, could you come with us as well, I mean Delia, if that is okay. I am sure she would love to meet the rest of your children."

Delia looked at Dee and whispered, "Dee, could you? You can help us with Adele. You know the process. I don't."

Newt looked at Delia with hope in his eyes. "You are going to do it?"

"I told you I would help and I will. But I would feel better if Dee came."

Newt grabbed her and gave her a bear hug. "Delia, my daughter, you are truly a gift from the Heavens."

"I will come with you, said Dee, "provided Cordell is okay with it. When are we leaving?"

"In the morning," said Delia.

Cordell had been talking to Niall when Newt finally came downstairs. Newt had walked right by the two men and went over to Dee and Delia and they started talking and the next thing he could see was Newt with his arms around Delia. It was all he could do to stay calm. He knew they were finalizing plans to leave.

"Looks like we will be leaving you two in the morning," said Cordell to Niall. "Newt is coming with us to meet the family."

"Ahhh," replied Niall trying to figure out if there was more to the story than he was telling, "how long will he be staying with you?"

"Just a couple of weeks....at least that is the plan right now."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------








When they got ready for bed, Cordell confronted Delia again. "What did you two talk about upstairs? And I know it was not just about Newt coming home with us," said Cordell, "what did he ask you?"

Delia crossed her arms and sighed, "He was trying to figure out how to create the potions needed to bring Adele back."

"So, let him try do it if he is so sure he can."

Delia walked away, "Cordell, he will KILL himself if he tries. He can't even make the potions much less figure out how to bring Adele's spirit over."

"Delia, you can't do it either. We have been through this already."

"But Cordell, I CAN make the potions needed should we be able to make her spirit manifest itself. He says he can feel her."

Cordell was tired of talking about ghosts. He needed to be close to Delia. He snaked his arms around her waste and pulled her to him. He leaned into her and just before he kissed her he whispered in her ear, "I can feel you, pretty lady. You are real and warm and here in my arms."

Delia felt herself begin to melt in Cordell's arms but needed to talk, "Stop it Cordell! You can't solve everything with sex." She pulled away and jumped onto the bed. Cordell sat down on the opposite side.

 "Look Cordell. I will do whatever I can to help Newt within reason. I can make the potions dammit and I will do it to help him. What if it was me and you knew there was a way. Wouldn't you try it?"

"That's just it. I don't want to have to find out. This is dangerous."

"Dee is coming with us."

"No!" said Cordell.

Delia pushed Cordell back down on the bed. "Shhh. Relax baby. The sooner we can get this over with, the sooner our life will get back to our normal crazy. Dee knows the process but only I can do it. Of course there will be nothing to do unless my mother's spirit decides to cooperate. So stop worrying and hold me. Frankly I am nervous."

"You don't have to do this."

"Yes Genie, I do. Let's get some sleep."

"That's not exactly what I had in mind, pretty lady," he whispered in her ear as he ran his hands up her thighs and this time Delia happily gave in to her husband and didn't stop him as he showed her how much she meant to him and she did her best to reassure him that he meant as much to her.



Cordell wrapped Delia in his arms after they were both fully satiated and she was soon breathing deep. He too finally fell asleep contemplating how he could possibly stop his wife from doing what she was hell bent on doing once they got home. He couldn't lose her.

Go to Chapter 145

Go Back to Chapter 143




No comments:

Post a Comment