Thursday, August 4, 2016

Chapter 143 - To Revive or Not To Revive


When Delia and Newt returned to the living quarters, she found Niall and Cordell deep in a conversation. She went over and put her hands up apologizing for being so long again.

"It's okay. Niall and I spent the time discussing the 'old' days and ways. We really want to see true change happen and stop all of the secrecy between the different supernatural communities."

"Wow! Such deep subjects," said Delia. "Um...Where is Dee? I really need to talk to her."

Niall was curious. Why did she all of a sudden need to talk to Dee. What on earth did Newt do and where the hell was he wondered Niall. "She is outside tending the gardens," replied her grandfather, "She needed to keep busy while you and Newt had time alone. Why don't you go down and tell her we are all ready for dinner."

"Of course Niall. Maybe I can help her finish up first."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dee was harvesting her life fruit in anticipation of the possible revival of her daughter. She wanted to be sure she had plenty to give to Delia. Then she set off to take care of the rest of her garden. It had been neglected while they had been in Lucky Palms.

Delia picked up the watering can and walked over to where Dee was kneeling down gently pulling weeds from around her plants. "Hi Dee," she said as she started watering the plants that Dee had just finished weeding.

"Hi dear!" replied Dee as she continued her work. "How was your day with your father?"

"Newt and I had an interesting conversation today," replied Delia.

Dee laughed. "I would imagine all of your conversations are interesting. Do you like to work in the garden Delia? It relaxes and calms me."

"Yes. I do. I have been growing special plants and herbs for my, um, potions since mom died."

Dee stood up and looked at Delia. "I am sure you have. You are very strong Delia. The potion you used to reverse aging, even if one has the recipe, only one with very strong powers can conjure it. Even I cannot make it work. You are special Delia. I haven't figured out why as you are only half fairy. Perhaps Newt has some supernatural abilities that he wasn't aware of and he and Adele's genes mixed perfectly!"

"Dee! That is ridiculous!" exclaimed Delia. "You just have to mix the recipe exact with fresh ingredients. That's all. I am not special, just lucky."

"Well, we can agree to disagree. Honey, Newt said you see ghosts. That too is a rare ability. Very few have the power to see them."

"What did Newt tell you - exactly?"

"Delia, he told us you bore the child of a ghost. Very few of us can see them, much less be in their world long enough to conceive a child. He also said one of your children was born stuck between the human and spirit world and you were able to bring him all the way over."

"They came to ME! I didn't summon them. They just make themselves known to me at their will, not mine. At first I thought I was dreaming and over time - a long time - I realized they were manifesting themselves to me."

"Still, Delia, you see, talk to them and can even touch them."

"So Dee," said Delia, "did you tell Newt I could bring back my mother? He seems to think I can and it's keeping him from moving on. I can't do this for him."

"Oh but Delia -you can. Don't you see how powerful you are. You present as human yet here you are 200+ years old and still look like you are young enough to bear children. How is that?"

"Dee. Newt's pain is new. He still feels like Mother is out there for him. He doesn't feel like 180 years have passed. There is no way Adele is still with us. You are hurting him with this false hope."

"What if I told you I know a way to do this. Would you be willing to try?"

"No! This is crazy! You can't bring someone back from their grave! One of my husbands thought he could do that and whatever he tried, it backfired and took his life. I hated the man by then, but I didn't want him dead. It was horrible."

"Oh....Do you mind me asking, what was he doing?"

"Oh Dee. You don't know about me. Not really. I have so many things in a hidden room. Most of them belonged to Mother but I collected some as well. He was working with an item that Vladimir called a "Philosopher's Stone". Vladimir said it was dangerous and he was right. It turned Goodwin into a golden statue."

"I am so sorry darling. He must have been using it incorrectly. Delia. You are the one. You can do it. You have to have something that belonged to Adele. It's better even if you have her remains, which you said you have. You can bind her ghost to you. Once that is done, then you must feed her the ambrosia that only you can make. Once she is revived, you must cure her. Then you will need to reverse her aging and then finally Niall can restore her wings. She will be the same young woman that she was when she left."

"Dee! Do you understand what you are asking? I don't even know if all of that is possible. I can't promise you or Newt anything. I need to see my husband. He has to agree and honestly, I can't imagine he would let me risk MY life for this. I just..."


"Don't say anymore. It was a selfish request. Niall and I want to beg her forgiveness and Newt...He was deprived of his life with our daughter and with you. It was wrong to ask you. Please, forgive me - but your father - he asked and I could't lie to him. Come, let's go feed those men. I know they are ravenous. I am."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dee and Delia went up to the living quarters and silently prepared dinner for the motley crew of 2 humans, a genie and 2 fairies, each woman lost in their own thoughts.

Delia kept running over Dee's words in her mind. What if she could bring her mother back? Her father and mother could finally be happy and live the life they were deprived of. Her grandparents would have their daughter back. How many things had she done already in the name of love for her children? Trying to 'cure' all of them from their supernatural 'afflictions'. Running from the supernatural because her mother had told her they were out to get her. They were all just afraid of each other in some kind of a power struggle. Well her family now consisted of almost every conceivable occult there was and they all loved each other dearly. Thanks to her husband. Maybe...

"Dinner's ready!" called Dee, bringing Delia out of her thoughts.

Gathering around the table and eating had become a bonding process for the unlikely crew thrown together after 200 years.

"Cordell," said Newt, "sorry to keep your wife to myself once again today. She is quite an amazing woman and I have so much to learn from her."

"It's quite alright Newt. I will be taking her home soon. I think Jewel, our oldest, is starting to rethink her offer to take care of her younger siblings in our absence."

"Really?" said Newt then he looked over at Delia. "Honey, why didn't you tell me your children needed you back at home. You don't have to stay."

"Cordell is just being his over-protective self," replied Delia, shooting a glare at Cordell. "Jewel is fine. She will survive a few more days. She and her husband are witches so they most certainly can figure out how to entertain her brother and little sisters."





Cordell wasn't happy that Delia overruled him, but he just frowned and bit his tongue. Niall started to ask about Delia and Newt's day, but when he saw the look both of them shot at him, he changed his mind and asked for desert instead.

After they had their desert and made more small talk, Newt excused himself. He was feeling very uncomfortable at the tension that was in the air and needed to get some sleep anyway since he hadn't slept but 4 hours the night before.

Delia and Cordell were in the same boat so they also excused themselves for an early evening and went upstairs.

After the three guests left, Niall and Dee sat down on the couch together to talk. Niall started first, "Did Newt ask Delia about Adele? We told him not to do that. Guess he changed his mind. He really is hurting. Having Delia here is helping, but it doesn't seem to be enough."

"Yes. I was surprised he did. She asked me about if I put him up to it. Niall, I told her. She can do this, she is powerful enough. She told me about her ghost baby. How many instances have you ever heard of someone being strong enough to conceive a child with a ghost. That rarely happens. She is special and I really think she can bring our Adele back to us."

"Does she have everything? I mean, the philosopher's stone. That is almost impossible to come by. One that has been properly prepared that is."

"Niall, she has it but has never used it, which is a worry. She has the ambrosia recipe, she can cure Adele and even reverse her aging. Then you can restore her wings."

Niall kissed his wife. "Maybe we can use the young again potion as well. I would love to spend another 400 years with you my darling."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


In the guest bedroom, a similar conversation was happening between husband and wife. "Cordell," explained Delia, "things are complicated. Dee says I can bring back my mother from the dead."

"That is ridiculous!" exclaimed Cordell, "Only someone very powerful can do that and you are a human. Only a very few supernaturals have that power!"

"Dee says that I have the power. Maybe through Newt somehow. Cordell - I have communicated directly with ghosts - have carnal knowledge of one and have bore two of his children. Dee said very few can DO that. I moved one child from the spirit world to the human world. I can reverse aging - on myself anyway - but why wouldn't it work on others. I can 'reverse' supernatural powers. I made Lucas stop becoming a wolf and I was a vampire Cordell. I am not anymore. I reversed the curse. I have cured zombies too."

"Delia, that doesn't mean you can bring back the dead. Dead is dead. Your son that was caught between two worlds was exactly that. Stuck. You just helped him come all the way over. I am not discounting that you are powerful. But Delia, what are the risks?"

"Well, the biggest risk is the Philosopher's Stone. It killed Goodwin."

"Then no. I think we should consider leaving after tomorrow even though you said no tonight. Let's get some sleep."

And with that he magically turned out the lights effectively ending the discussion. The couple fell asleep almost instantly, completely exhausted from the events of the last few days.

Go to Chapter 144

Go Back to Chapter 142

No comments:

Post a Comment