Thursday, August 18, 2016

Chapter 145 - Keeping Secrets

Stone and Cheyenne were entertaining themselves in the pool at his sister's house while Mira napped inside. Angie had gone to a friend’s house.


Jewel and Donnovan sat outside watching them. Jewel broke the silence and said, “I can't wait until our baby gets here. Cheyenne will be such a good big sister. Look at how happy she is to have Stone to pal around with. I guess we waited almost too long. Mom had to go and remind me that I will be 30 this year. I didn't tell her I was pregnant because she would worry about us watching the kids and I wanted them to go and have fun.”

“Speaking of secrets," said Donnovan, "I have something I need to tell you. Something your father shared with me. Let's go inside, I don't want the kids to overhear.”

The couple walked inside and got ready for bed. Then went and sat on the couch by the big picture window so they could keep an eye on Stone and Cheyenne. “What is the big hush-hush secret Donnovan? And why didn't my mother tell me?” asked Jewel.


“Well, they are going to Moonlight Falls for more than just a visit with your mother’s grandparents. Her father is there, your grandfather.”  

“Wait, what? Her father is alive? Why didn't he come here with Dee and Niall?”

“They needed to be sure. Jewel, your mother is older than you think.”

Jewel laughed, “Yes. I know. She looks much younger than her 68 years for sure. I never thought about it before. I suppose it's the fairy blood keeping her young. I mean she had a Mira at - what 64? I hope I inherited that gene.”

Donnovan felt bad about what he was going to tell his wife. “Try 200,” he said unable to look at her.

“200? As in 200 years old? That's ridiculous Donnovan. Did Cordell tell you that? She is human, well half human. My birth certificate said she was 39 when I was born.”


“Those things can be faked. The reason her father didn't come to Lucky Palms is because he is under a sleeping spell and has been for the last 180 years. I didn't get the whole story, but your folks have some deep dark secrets Jewel. I guess Cordell trusts me enough to confide in me. And trust is something genies don't give lightly.”

Jewel felt like her world was once again spinning out of control. She laid her head on Donnovan's shoulder and closed her eyes to stop the tears that were threatening to fall. “Please, just hold me. This is too much.”

“I think we need to find out who your real father is Jewel. You are a strong witch. Stronger than me even and I come from a powerful lineage. We need to know why. I don't think it is just your fairy blood although that is certainly part of the reason. I think he was a powerful witch as well. And it explains why Cheyenne started doing magic so young.”

Jewel sat up, “Mom wouldn't tell me his name when I asked. She said he didn't deserve to be named. Why would my parents keep so many secrets from me?”

“Jewel,” said Donnovan soothingly, “they thought you were human and wanted to protect you. I don't think your mother knew she was part fairy until recently and probably has no idea what that really means. Fairies attract supernatural beings to them. I would expect she has been surrounded by the supernatural her whole life without understanding what it meant. Probably running from it, until Cordell came into her life. She is lucky to have him help her through this. God, Jewel, they have 7 kids! Who does that if they aren't totally committed to each other. Cordell knows a lot, but he doesn't know everything and he is protective as hell of his family. He is a good father. Don't blame them for keeping secrets.”

“Baby, I don't know if I can help it. I feel like my whole life has been one big lie after another. I am so glad you found me. I couldn't do this alone.”

Donnovan scooped her up and hugged her. “The first day I saw you in the park I knew you were important to me. So beautiful and responsible. Taking care of your younger sisters.”

“Well, truth be told, I had a million butterflies and couldn't believe you would even talk to me. When Mom kicked you out, I was mortified. I thought I had lost you forever. And then you came back but bolted after you met Cordell.”

“My strong little witch fairy. I love you. He was right to be angry. I should have told you about me before he forced my hand. I had no idea your step-father would be a damn genie of all things. You were worth the wait.”

“I love you too. You make me feel like I belong. Don't ever keep secrets from me Donnovan. You will break me if you do. I have had enough to last 10 lifetimes.”

“Never.”

Jewel sighed. “I guess my parents have some explaining to do when they get home. I want to know everything Donnovan. I think my real father’s identity is just the tip of the iceberg.”

“Are you sure you want to know everything sweetheart. Sometimes ignorance is bliss.”

“Pandora’s Box has been opened. I can't shut it.”

“What about your sisters - and Stone? Will you tell them?”

Jewel kissed her husband and said, “You smart witch. It isn't so easy is it? I don't think I should tell them anything. Damn secrets. At least they know who their parents are and they will know the pieces that matter to them. No good can come from turning their worlds upside down. Does that make me a hypocrite? I am doing exactly what I am condemning my parents of doing.”

“You are a good person Jewel. It's not on you to share your parents secrets. It's very likely your brother and sisters will not be adversely affected by not knowing. After we hear the truth, you will know the right decision.”

Go To Chapter 146

Go back to Chapter 144


No comments:

Post a Comment