Saturday, June 18, 2016

Chapter 119 - Questions

After Jewel and Donnovan reconciled and decided to stay together, she wanted to talk to her parents. She called and said she was coming by to talk. Cordell braced for her wrath. He was sad she probably hated him now. 

Jewel was nervous and started rambling, "Daddy, I hate that you didn't tell me about my bio-dad but I understand why you didn't. I finally spoke to Donnovan. He called me like 100 times over and over. I really didn't have much choice. He helped me understand. We have reconciled. I do love him. I realized that after I left here. I can't picture a life without him. He makes me happy." And then she finally took a breath.
Delia ran and grabbed her daughter and pulled into a bear hug while Cordell stood and watched dumbfounded. He would never understand women. Delia whispered to her, "Baby, I hope you are as happy as I am with your father. I am sure Donnovan loves you more than you even realize."

Jewel was almost in tears as she spoke to her mother, "Thanks Mom. I think he does. God he waited for me to graduate. Who does that? You and Daddy set a really good example for me. I love you both so much. I just wanted to let you know that everything is okay. I was so confused but not anymore. I gotta run now. Inventions to invent and all."  She blew them both a kiss as she left floating on air for her little house and her work station. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That evening after Delia left for work and Stone was asleep and the girls settled doing homework, Cordell decided he could use some much needed relaxation and got into the hot tub to think. He wasn't in there long when a knock sounded on the door. He was surprised to see Donnovan standing in the doorway. He had to hand it to him. He was gutsy. 

"Come in Donnovan," said Cordell, "What can I do for you?"
"Mr. Shinn, I wanted to come by to talk to you. I think we need to clear the air as far as - uh - our differences are concerned. And I have something to ask you too."

"Sure Donnovan. I was just in the spa. Would you -uh - like a drink?"

"No thanks. I came to thank you personally for letting me tell Jewel about my - uh - condition. You could have told her but you let me save face." Donnovan was trying to speak in generalities because he knew her siblings wouldn't understand and he hoped Jewel's father got it.

The more Cordell got to know Donnovan, the more he decided he was okay and less concerned about Jewel spending time with him. "Well, you returned the favor so we are even. We had a long discussion and it just about broke her heart. We never thought she would have to be exposed to the likes of - well - our kind. She came by this morning and said you two were still seeing each other and seemed very happy."

"It was the right thing to do sir. I couldn't come between her and her family. But, Mr.Shinn, I have a couple of questions for you if you don't mind."

Cordell immediately got worried and the hair on the back of his neck stood up. "What kind of questions?" he asked warily.
"First, and I mean no disrespect - uh - it's about her - uh - biological father. Jewel said he was a witch. Is this true? And can you tell me his name?"

"Why do you want his name. What difference does it make? She doesn't even know his name."

"It's just, I have a feeling she is VERY strong. A mixture maybe, but the witch in her is just under the surface along with something else that seems even more powerful."

"Not now Donnovan. Maybe later we will talk about this - when SHE is ready. Jewel doesn't know her real father's name and I would like to keep it that way. Maybe it is selfish, but he never wanted her and I raised her from 6 months of age."

"Okay. I'm sorry. Later then - when Jewel is ready. But there is something more important."

"What," asked Cordell knowing exactly what he was going to say.

"You must know that I love your daughter deeply and I want to spend the rest of my life making her happy. So, I am her to ask for your blessing to ask your daughter to be my wife."

Cordell smiled. "Donnovan, you do make Jewel very happy. You are a product of the supernatural as is she. She just doesn't fully understand it. I know you love her and she loves you too. But if you EVER hurt my baby, there will be hell to pay. Do you understand witch?"

"I would never do a thing to hurt her. She is beautiful and fun and sweet and caring and has no idea of her true potential. I will cherish her."

Cordell shook Donnovan's hand, this time with gratitude. After what he just found out about his pretty fairy lady, Jewel was going to need someone just like him to take care of her. With tears rimming his eyes, he said, "Take care of my baby."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Donnovan left the Shinn's house feeling like a load had been taken off his shoulders. Jewel's scary father, well step-father, had just given him the okay to marry his daughter and he was a frigging Genie! Step-father or not, his words, 'if you EVER hurt my baby, there will be hell to pay witch' resounded with him. It seemed as if Cordell Shinn was not afraid of witches - at all. It made him even more curious about who Jewel's real father really was. It is unheard of that a witch will sire a child and leave them to be raised by another, especially a Genie. Jewel's real father must have been powerful, because her powers were just under the surface - if so, how did he allow her to be raised by Cordell? So many unanswered questions, for later. 

Donnovan called Jewel and asked her to come over. He told her he had a surprise for her so she wouldn't put him off. He had to do this now before he lost his nerve.
 When Jewel arrived, she seemed preoccupied. "What is wrong baby?" he asked her.

"Nothing. I just have so much to think about. Witches and Genies. Witches I can almost understand but Genies? Aren't they are supposed to live in a magic lamp and give the owner 3 wishes. But clearly Daddy isn't living in a magic lamp and I have 4 sisters and a brother and the two he says are genies are also not living in a magic lamp. What kind of messed up family do I have?"

"Whoa! I think the genie in a lamp thing is an old wives tale. Just like witches ride broomsticks and have warts on their noses! Sadly it is things that are made up by - uh - humans to make them seem harmless."

"It's okay if you call me human. We are both outcasts. My real father was a witch and my mother didn't know at the time. I am glad that you shared that part of yourself with me."


Donnovan felt relieved at Jewel's comments. Emboldened by them and her father's blessing, he brushed her hair back from her face, "Do you have any idea how special you really are. Every time I think I couldn't love you more than I already do you say something that makes me fall deeper in love with you."

When Donnovan suddenly got down on one knee, Jewel's heart began to pound out of her chest. And then the uttered the words she longed to hear, "Please, Jewel, make me the happiest witch on earth and be my wife."

"Yes! Yes! I love you! Yes!" squealed Jewel.

Donnovan put the rectangular cut diamond ring on her finger and she threw her arms around his neck and cried. He could have given her a plastic ring and it wouldn't have mattered.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Daddy! I had to come and tell you and Mom the good news," said Jewel excitedly.  

Cordell could tell Donnovan evidently wasted no time asking Jewel to marry him. He was happy for her. "Calm down. What is it?" he asked with a smile on his face.

"Donnovan proposed! I said yes. We are engaged!" exclaimed Jewel. 

"That is wonderful sweetheart," said Cordell and then Delia walked in and asked what the commotion was all about and Jewel told her mother and showed her the ring that Donnovan had given her. 

Delia hugged her and said excitedly, "A wedding! When?"

"We want to get married right away. A quickie wedding, but in the Chapel. A month? Is that too fast?" asked Jewel. 

"Of course not baby.  But we have lots of shopping to do! Your sisters will be so excited!"  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Delia, I have been thinking and I am a little worried about Jewel," said Cordell.

"Why? I thought you liked Donnovan," said Delia.

"Something Donnovan said. He is a witch. We all know that, but he asked who Jewel's real father was. I am afraid he may try to find him. He can tell, pretty lady, that she is the product of a very strong lineage of witches and all witches know who they are - and that combined with your fairy blood - well it could be a powerful combination. And well, witches don't walk out on their offspring. They have to teach them how to use their powers, just as I am teaching Corrie and Angie."

"Oh God. That is why Nicholas married me when I became pregnant and poor Aiden. I didn't know. I am horrible."

Cordell reached out and pulled his wife closer to comfort her. He hated it when she started blaming herself for bad things. "Delia, my pretty lady, you are not. This was new to you like it is to Jewel, even more so. You didn't know what Nicholas was until long after he died. He should have told you. It's on him, not you. But I am not concerned with ghosts, but with Jewel and her finding out who her father was and what really happened. It might destroy her. We just need to watch closely is all.  I do think Donnovan is a good man but curiosity killed the cat. I don't want him to get hurt because that would hurt Jewel. I pray he will protect her even if he finds out."

"I trust you Genie. If you feel he will keep her safe, then I believe it. Now, on a brighter note, we have a wedding to plan. Jewel wants to get married in the Chapel. Can you please call and see if you can get that setup?  Jewel and the rest of us gals are going shopping! See you later, Genie, go bond with Stone! I love you."
Cordell went into Delia's 'room of doom' to make the call. First he had to call in a favor. Then he made the call to reserve the chapel.

Go To Chapter 120

Go back to chapter 118





No comments:

Post a Comment