Saturday, April 23, 2016

Chapter 95 - Gettin' Real

Cordell began to tell Delia about the steps to be able to release him. She thought they were the silliest things she had ever heard of.

Freeze the lamp as if I were in the coldest regions of the Earth. Heat the lamp as if I were in the hottest deserts. And finally take the lamp to the lowest depths of the caverns.

When these things are done, sweet lady, bring the lamp back here and you will be able to release the bonds that forever bind me to the lamp. I will become, shall we say, more like you than me.

Delia thought about it and she figured, she could stick the lamp in the freezer and freeze it and then place it in the oven to heat it.  As for the cavern, the only place she knew of were the catacombs by the graveyard. Why always around the dead? Well, she wasn't afraid of ghosts but maybe she should be.

She got started. She almost relished sticking the stupid lamp in the oven. She despised this man and didn't trust him at all.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the two months it took for Delia to complete the rituals, Troy was bonding with his daughter even though it was putting a strain on his relationship with Sherman.  Sherman was always so worried something might happen and Troy figured he was also a little jealous of Jewel.

Troy heard Sherman walk up behind him and braced himself for the argument that would probably soon follow about leaving the country. He had grown accustomed to his nervousness.

"Troy, I know you love Jewel, but we have to get away soon. The longer we stay here the more likely we are going to get caught. Delia - "

"Sherman!" interrupted Troy before he could finish, "that tramp hasn't even followed up with the detective that she called.  I TOLD you. I have connections at City Hall and have access to the reports. No one is looking for her. We have time. I don't want to leave until she is a bit older. Then we can move. So please stop."

"I am sorry. I - it's just - I love you and I don't want anything to happen to us."

Troy softened his tone at the man's statement, "I know Sherman. Me too. It will be fine."
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Delia had finally been able to perform the last ritual. She carried the lamp down to the basement and began the final step in an attempt to release the invisible bonds that had chained Cordell to the magic lamp for eternity.

The bracelets glowed and began to crack.  Light began to emanate from the golden bands, and even from Cordell himself.  He seemed to be in pain and screamed.  Then in one last gasp, light came out of Cordell himself as if something was being expelled from his body that had held him captive to the lamp.

When it was over, he looked at Delia and smiled and said simply, "Man, am I hungry!"

Delia couldn't have been less pleased. "I thought you were going to LOOK human. You are still blue and you want to eat."

"Ahh, but Delia, I haven't eaten in over 1,000 years. Please pretty lady, indulge me. Then we can talk business. I hear you are an excellent cook."



Delia served Cordell some leftover crepes and he wolfed down not one, but two plates of food before she had seen enough.

"No more! It's time talk. It has been almost three months now since my daughter has gone missing. YOU said if I released you from the lamp, you would become human and would be able to find her and bring her to me. Look at you. You are a pig and you are blue.  No blue person can blend in. It was better when you were in the lamp."

"Don't fret Delia. I am sorry. Your food was so delicious and savory and I couldn't help myself. What can I say? But now. Let us talk about the missing child."

"Okay. So for starters, how are you going to find my Jewel and when you do how are you going to get her back?"


"But it is so simple Delia. I still have a few limited powers left so I will change my appearance to 'blend in' as you put it. Then, I will use your modern technology to locate the girl and simply take her back. Easy as pie - ohhhh speaking of pie -  you wouldn't have any key lime pie? That would be so awesome."

Delia was incredulous. She had jumped out of the frying pan into the fire with this - whatever he was. But she really had no other choices.

"No. Pie.  At least until you get rid of that hideous blue color. Can you please get on with it?"

Cordell reluctantly got up from the table.  He clapped his hands three times, much as he had done when he granted Delia's wish the first time.  He was enveloped in a pink mist and when the mist began to clear, a young nice looking man stood where the evil Genie was before. Delia had to look twice to be sure it was the same man. But when he smirked, she had no doubt.



















After Cordell transformed himself into what he referred to as human he had a very smug look on his face and asked, "Will this suffice pretty lady?"

Okay, that IS much better! thought Delia. But she didn't want to give him any satisfaction.  She pointed her finger at him to let him know who was boss. "Let's get one thing straight. I am in charge here. You owe me for freeing you and now it is time for you to start working on finding my daughter!"

"But of course. That is why I am her with you now. Don't worry. I shall reunite Mother and Daughter soon. Please, no need to be so angry. The men won't get to keep the little one much longer. I, Cordell Shinn, will find and bring her home. Now, can I have pie?"

"I need a drink!" said Delia somewhat defeated.

"Oh yes! How wonderful. Fruit of the vine...how long has it been? Do you mind?"

Delia sighed and went over to the wine rack and began to pour drinks. She may as well try to get along with Cordell and a drink would help her to relax.  She was so wound up worrying about her daughter. The sad thing is that she couldn't do anything. Both Troy and Sherman would know if she started coming around and it might spook them. Then they might leave and never be found. Frankly she didn't really understand why they hadn't already left the country.

Cordell took the wine glass and chugged it down. If Delia hadn't been so upset she may have laughed at the way the giant of man held the glass with his pinkie finger in the air all dainty like.

Once she swallowed a few drinks of the wine and the alcohol began to calm and warm her she asked the genie, "So, what exactly is your plan?"

"I told you already love. I will use your modern day technology to find your little one."

Delia wanted to scream even with the wine calming her. "What does that mean exactly?" she asked trying to remain calm.

"Ahhh, the computing device. The Internet. It knows everything. I have, er had, one in my lamp. I had a lot of time to practice and am very good at finding out information."


"Please tell me you are joking."

"Why would I lie pretty lady - oh -  and you are out of wishes anyway."

"I am going to bed...There is a bedroom upstairs to the left you can sleep in. You DO sleep - right?"

"Yes...Of course. I am human now. No? And I have human needs and human desires.....pretty lady....and I have been in the lamp for 1,000 years."

"Goodnight Cordell,"said Delia and turned and went to bed to cry.

Go to Chapter 96

Go back to Chapter 94





No comments:

Post a Comment