Thursday, June 2, 2016

Chapter 115 - Secrets

"Joy," whispered Alia so no one could hear, "Guess who texted me!"

"I don't know - Clark?  He really likes you," guessed Joy.

"Yes, he did, but we are just friends," replied her Alia, "I think it's you he really likes."

"Ewww," said Joy disgusted, "he is like my brother, well, like my little sister." And at that the girls started giggling.

Corrie saw her sisters whispering and giggling. She figured they were talking about boys again. They always giggled when they did that. She walked over to ask them what they were talking about.

"Hi, what's so funny?" asked Corrie.

"Nothing," said Alia dismissing her and turning back to Joy because she hadn't yet told Joy who texted her.

Just like always, thought Corrie, they don't even realize I exist. I am part of the furniture. I even apologized to Joy and they still ignore me.

As Corrie turned to walk off, she heard them talking about a club. Corrie decided to try and figure out what they were talking about that was such a secret they couldn't tell her.

As the two girls began to huddle together, Corrie stopped walking and stayed just close enough so she could overhear their discussion.


"So who texted you Alia?" asked Joy when they thought Corrie was out of earshot.

"Jaycen!" said Alia excitedly.

"Oh Alia! He likes you!" said Joy

"He wants us to come to the Rattlesnake Club on Saturday night. He said that Sahan wants to see you again!"

"But Mom and Dad won't let us go," said Joy disappointed.

"We will tell them we are going to the park. As long as we are home by curfew they will never know," said Alia. Then the two girls began to giggle more.

Corrie was delighted with this little nugget of information and began to plan how she just might be able to use it to her advantage.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Donnovan met Jewel at her house the day after the 'encounter' with her Genie father. He had decided that he would tell her about himself and let the chips fall where they may. Now that her father knew about him, there was no possible way to delay. He had hoped she would have come to love him before he had to tell her. But that was no longer an option.






"Jewel, I need to tell you something about me. But before I do, please know that I love you very much and would never do anything to hurt you. I think you already know that, but you may not want to hear it when I am done and I needed to say it one more time," said Donnovan.

"Donnovan, you are scaring me," said Jewel suddenly very nervous, and before he could say anything else, she blurted out the worst thing that come to her mind, "God, you are married!" Jewel's heart was pounding in her chest waiting for his confirmation.

"No darling, of course not," he said. Jewel's heart slowed down to a more normal pace but she was still worried.

"I don't know of anything else that could be so bad. What is it?"

"I have powers to perform magic for lack of a better word," said Donnovan and Jewel started laughing completely relieved.

"A magician! That's not bad silly man!" she exclaimed.

"No babe, not illusions, actual magical powers. I am what you would call a - uh - witch or warlock. I can cast spells, change objects from one thing to another, conjure things out of thin air, turn people into toads..."

"DONNOVAN!" Stop it. Now you are scaring me. You are being ridiculous! Are you insane? What kind of joke is this?" asked Jewel.

"No. Not a joke," said Donnovan quietly, "Let me show you."

Donnovan produced his magic wand and cast a "good luck" spell on his girlfriend. Then quickly realizing she wouldn't believe it, conjured an apple out of thin air and handed it to her.

Jewel was wary at what he was trying to prove. Any halfway decent illusionist could make it appear as if he conjured something out of mid-air and even make the silly sparks fly from his magic wand. Seriously.

"Look Donnovan, I am not sure what your game is. Why are you doing this?" asked Jewel.

"I promise you, my beautiful Jewel, this is not a game. It is real. And just so you know, I am not a "black" witch. I don't use my powers for evil, only for good and I try not to use them more than necessary. I won't ever use them again if it will keep you in my life. I am so sorry I frightened you. Please, don't be afraid," said Donnovan as he pulled Jewel into his arms. He was just glad she let him touch her.

Then he had an idea, "Ask your step-father if you don't believe me. He knows about me. He will help you understand."

"Father," corrected Jewel, "Cordell is my father."

"Of course, I am sorry. You trust him right? Please ask him, ask your father about me. He will tell you the truth and probably explain it better than I am doing." Jewel was upset at his words. Why would her father know more about Donnovan that she apparently did.

Jewel pulled out of his embrace. She didn't want him to touch her anymore because she would cry. Then told him, "I have to go to bed now. Goodbye Donnovan." Then she turned and went inside her house. As soon a she closed her door, she leaned against it and the tears came. I thought I loved him and now this. Why would he tell me to ask Daddy? What does my father have to do with any of this?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Then next morning, Jewel decided to do as Donnovan had suggested and ask her father about him. She needed to get to the bottom of this foolishness. After she pulled herself together, she went to her parents house. She wanted to see her little brother anyway and the older girls were in school so wouldn't be a distraction.

"Mom! Stone is getting so big and he looks so much like Daddy!" exclaimed Jewel when she saw her little brother in the high chair.

He began to squirm and fuss when he saw Jewel so she gave him his bottle and then turned to her mother and asked, "Is Daddy around? I really need to talk to him."

"Yes, he is coming down for breakfast and should be here any minute. You sure are here early. What's up?"

"I just need to ask Daddy a few questions and I wanted to see this cute little Cordell clone!"

Delia took the hint and went into the garden to harvest the produce leaving Jewel a little privacy to speak with her father.

When Cordell came down and saw Jewel he was immediately worried. He figured Donnovan must have already told her he was a witch, but he couldn't understand why she wanted to talk to him unless he also told her that he was a genie. If he had, Cordell wouldn't be responsible for his actions.

"What's wrong Jewel?" asked Cordell and braced himself for her answer.

"Daddy, Donnovan told me something about himself last night and then he told me to ask you. That you would be able to help me understand," said Jewel not quite sure how to come out and say her boyfriend said he was a witch and you know it's true.

All doubts were erased from Cordell's mind as soon as she said that. He knew. Donnovan had indeed tried to tell her his secret, but it seems she wasn't buying it. But, did he tell her that her father was a genie? He had to hand it to him. He didn't waste anytime. That man loves his daughter, but did he do the right thing?

Cordell held his breath and asked, "What did he say baby?"

"This is going to sound stupid. He said he was a - well witch - and that YOU knew it and believe it."

"That's all?" asked Cordell expecting more.

"That's all?"exclaimed Jewel, "Isn't that enough? You act like people say that everyday!"

Cordell let out his breath relieved that Donnovan didn't tell her about him. Cordell's respect for Jewel's boyfriend went up several notches. "No, No. I just wondered if he said anything else along with that.... So, Jewel, sweetheart. There are things in this world that very few people know or understand and the supernatural is one of those. Most people in this world are, for lack of a better word, mortal or simply human, and feel that those of us with special powers are evil. Granted some may be, but Jewel there are evil humans as well and the whole of them is not condemned for that. But the supernatural population is something that is not understood and therefore remains a secret revealed to only a select few humans for fear of persecution. People naturally think what they don't understand or can't explain is evil and try to rid the world of it."

"Whoa! Wait a minute - Supernatural, mortal humans, you are both insane. You believe that Donnovan is a witch and can turn people into frogs! And what is this 'those of us' - " then the realization hit that he was including himself in this supernatural category. "GOD! YOU TOO! You think you are a witch!"

"Jewel, calm down. Please. I don't think I am a witch. I am not. But Donnovan is. And I highly doubt your boyfriend has ever or will ever turn anyone into a frog. Can he? Yes. Will he? No. And Jewel, I also know that he loves you very much. I knew that the first time I met him."

Jewel began to cry. "You believe this and are defending him? What is going on here. I trusted you and you are telling me all of this supernatural BS. You two acted like you hated each other and now you sing his praises!"
Cordell felt so bad and wished Delia were here to help. This was hurting Jewel more than he thought. She had just started to trust him again, but he was new at this. He looked at his distraught daughter and said the first thing he could think of that wasn't a lie. "I am your father. It's in the job description to give my daughter's boyfriends, supernatural or human, a hard time and if they come back for more, well then they must love my daughters and that helps me accept and let go. But baby, there is more you need to know and I know your mother wanted to be here for this conversation."

"Wait, Mom knows you believe in witchcraft - the supernatural? And she is okay with this? You two discussed this already?"


Go To Chapter 116

Go Back to Chapter 114

No comments:

Post a Comment